ADVERTISEMENT

Chance of Bouk going pro . . .

Crank2

Feb 19, 2020
If he continues his torrid pace, we beat Houston, we beat Tulsa, we win 2 in the AAC tourni . . .
I'd give it 1 in 4.
I want him to do great, but, if he did not, that wouldn't be the worst thing for us. Gulp.

" I liked his athleticism, his ability to drive, his pull-up jumper. I think he has a chance to be a good player.” then quicker than a Bouknight first step to the basket, the scout added: “I think he should stay in school. Another year in school and he’d really move his way up there.”.... “He has the physical tools to be a good defender, and he’s with a good defensive coach,” the Eastern Conference scout noted. “He’s got to continue to improve in that area. He has the chance to be a good two-way player, as long as he has the mental toughness and discipline to apply himself.”

Another NBA scout added : “Hopefully, he doesn’t think about leaving......The best thing he could get would be on a bus somewhere in the G-League,” the Western Conference scout noted. “I don’t know why he’d want to do that. He’s got a little aptitude for a lot of different things. But he’s not developed yet.”.

UConn coach Dan Hurley said the subject of going pro hasn’t come up between him and Bouknight.....“It’s obviously not something we’re talking about at this point in the season,” Hurley said. “I’m sure we’ll have conversations at year’s end............but I think what we like most about James and his family and the people that mentor James is they’re reasonable people, smart people, and I think they have a pretty good understanding of where he’s at in his maturation process. I think they understand that they’ve got a real talent there. The level of trust with everyone involved, I think, is good.”

He has not appeared on a single NBA Draft board so exactly why should he even consider going? For what? To go undrafted and play in the Euroleagues?

He has not appeared on a single NBA Draft board so exactly why should he even consider going? For what? To go undrafted and play in the Euroleagues?
$7,000 a month in the G-League plus playing against much better competition every day. No more classes, no more school hastle. As I noted, if it's about the bottom line, I'm not sure going or staying is going to make a big difference. If he stays, it should be to have fun and enjoy college. Not for more $. And also, we have several more games.
Why would an NBA franchise want him?
Because taking him with a 2nd round pick could end up being a great investment.

Why would an NBA franchise want him?
Because taking him with a 2nd round pick could end up being a great investment.

Nobody has him rated as a 2nd round pick at this time, which is why he needs to stay in school. He is not ready nor close at this point.

Reactions: the Blades
Nobody has him rated as a 2nd round pick at this time, which is why he needs to stay in school. He is not ready nor close at this point.
Thanks for the sanity....Suddenly not developing, hoping for a 2nd round pick and playing for $35K a year in bus ride league is a great career choice ?
LOL!..... How about building your game and your brand in major arenas and in front of national TV audiences , while making alot more between cost of attendance and a $50K a year education?
Who do you want to be... a 2nd rounder who ends up out of the league if things don't work out or never gets a chance because the NBA team doesn't owe you a thing ( see Daniels or Danny Hamilton)....or leave school when the (multi-yr) million$ are guaranteed because your a first rounder after 2 or 3 years in college....(see....Donyell, Ray, Rip, Caron, Rudy, Meka, Kemba, J-Lamb, Bazz ..etc, etc, etc..even Thabeet who was a bust made $16 mil + plus because he chose right )

This isn't complicated... if you have 1st round lottery potential ( which I think James does) you don't leave until the money and a shot to stick, because the NBA team owes you.. is a lock !

Last edited:
This isn't complicated... if you have 1st round lottery potential ( which I think James does) you don't leave until the money and a shot to stick, because the NBA team owes you.. is a lock !
Sounds about right. I was just playing devil's advocate as to why a kid might leave.

“With James, there is a self-awareness there,” Hurley told SNY’s Maria Marino for the weekly feature Huskies at Home on www.sny.tv. “He has outstanding people around him, he’s not getting mixed messages from his family or his grassroots coaches or mentors. He’s a very bright kid. He knows that if he continues to work hard and partner up with us, we’re going to get him there as quickly as we can to become that first-round pick, lottery pick, that he wants to be.”

Thanks for the sanity....Suddenly not developing, hoping for a 2nd round pick and playing for $35K a year in bus ride league is a great career choice ?
LOL!..... How about building your game and your brand in major arenas and in front of national TV audiences , while making alot more between cost of attendance and a $50K a year education?
Who do you want to be... a 2nd rounder who ends up out of the league if things don't work out or never gets a chance because the NBA team doesn't owe you a thing ( see Daniels or Danny Hamilton)....or leave school when the (multi-yr) million$ are guaranteed because your a first rounder after 2 or 3 years in college....(see....Donyell, Ray, Rip, Caron, Rudy, Meka, Kemba, J-Lamb, Bazz ..etc, etc, etc..even Thabeet who was a bust made $16 mil + plus because he chose right )

Article on Jame's 1st round potential...Again this is why you wait and develop under the current NBA draft system. If there where huge signing bonuses to play in the minors (the G-League) for early round picks, like MLB, then it's a different conversation....I still think the MLB or NHL draft/NCAA model would be best for both the pro's and colleges. As things seem to be heading in that direction.

With the NCAA allowing marketing rights for athletes (NCAA Athlete Endorsement Deals) it will now bring another factor into the equation. As I mentioned above, what helps building an athletes brand more ? A bus ride (G) league with a couple of hundred fans in the stands. Or CBB on national TV, playing in front of thousands in major arenas ?
I think this is a big missing factor that those championing for college athletes to be paid don't understand regarding the entertainment industry. The "brand building" of a college athlete can be a huge financial X-factor that is gained while playing on the big stage of high profile college sports.

But here's a nice write-up on James:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT