ADVERTISEMENT

BYU's fast paced offense

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Not only does Uconn go into the game as a 17 point underdog vs. an elusive running Heisman trophy candidate at
QB.......here's Coach D's take below on pace of play. He has seen BYU 2 years in a row as Notre Dame's DC. Some new
NCAA rules were considered over the summer with all the hurry-up offenses added to the college game due to the change
to the running 40 sec. clock in 2008. Though looked at due to safety issues (dubbed the Nick Saban 10-second rule)
......no official rule change has been made:

From SNY.TV's John Silver:
Pace of play is going to be an issue this year. Here is an AP story today on it with the issue:
"From the officiating standpoint, we kind of got caught up in this thing and allowed ourselves to sort of get
overwhelmed by it," NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said to the AP. "Too much rushing
around, hurrying and trying tobe speedy about getting the ball in play and it sort of put the defense at a
disadvantage."Full read- Diaco on pace of play, BYU
This post was edited on 8/27 10:01 AM by the Blades

Welcome to this side of the board KSTW. As you asked in the other post and I mentioned above Vegas doesn't think
Uconn has much of a chance, but the good thing is that both Diaco and his DC Anthony Poindexter (Virginia '99),
have game planned for BYU at ND and Virginia recently. The comment from one of ESPN's more visible CFB analyst's
who is a west coast guy and is doing the game Friday probably applies to my thinking going forward with the program:

"I'm excited to see this weekend, to see the turnaround with Bob Diaco and see what he's implemented," Kanell said on a
media conference call Tuesday. "I think they're going to have their hands full with a BYU team that's extremely talented and
has a quarterback who might be a dark-horse contender, in Taysom Hill, for the Heisman Trophy. But I think it's going to be
a process. It's going to take some time for Bob Diaco to get his guys in there to start recruiting the type of players that he wants."
ESPN's Danny Kanell Eager To See UConn Under Bob DiacoWhat we have learned so far in the off season is that Uconn's conditioning under Pasqualoni was light years behind
what it should have been. To a man it seems like it was the case( hell the starting QB Cochrane was 25lbs overweight).
PP seemed completely out of touch with the college game treating these 18-19 year old kids like they were pro's
and left them to pretty much do things on their own as far as training and nutrition. So that alone should be a plus as
far as bringing it for 60 minutes, but it's still doesn't account for game planning with the current talent profile.

The one thing that has been immediately noticeable with Diaco's recruiting in the 2015 Class has been HEIGHT by position
that he can build up in the weight room with the help of Matt Balis, a top S&C coach he hired away from the SEC and Miss St.
Edsall used to build his OL's that way, with 6-5 to 6-9 guys that he could bulk up, who could run.

I'm just glad to see the players that stuck around( 19 have left UConn roster attrition) are buying into what it takes to be a
winner. Diaco hasn't allowed any open practices for fans( as in the past )and has really limited the media. I'm hoping for a tight
game Friday but it's a complete unknown as what to expect from Uconn's new offense or what's been mentioned as a switch
from a 4-3 to a 3-4 D, the first time out.
This post was edited on 8/28 8:50 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT