ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Mar 28, 2009
The first bracket analysis of the season has UConn as 7 seed in the East. When you consider that the other 7 seeds are Oregon, Xavier, and Purdue, this seems like a respectable seed to me. It was also the seed UConn was given when it won the NCAA tournament in 2014.

UConn has rocketed up to a 2 seed in the West behind 1 seed Arizona:
Well look who Joey Brackets has as a #1 now. It's still a long season but that would be a nice bracket. Kinda like what Uconn saw in it's last extended NCAA trip....1st round in upstate (this time Albany ) and a regional at the Garden in NYC.

UConn, interestingly, is now a 2 seed in the East behind 1 seed Alabama, which UConn beat by 15 in
.....guys like Joey and these other bracket guys probably need to retire,

now that the NCAA puts out their one and only ranking metric they use for the tourney, "daily". Which is a much better gauge. So take anything Joey visions in his one person opinion with a grain of salt. Uconn is still a one seed (#3 overall w/ 2 top 15 wins, Bama, Iowa St) according to the NCAA ahead of Alabama. But as always it's changing and will be continued.

BTW.... Uconn's next opponent Marquette is now up to #21

Last edited:
Blades,

I don't think the NET ranking is the end of the analysis for the NCAA selection Committee. It's a big part of it, but they look at a lot of other factors including late season play, SOS, etc. Of course we are not even in the late season so it's a factor yet to be determined. So any bracketology isn't really science. I did also hear Casey Jacobson (I think), he of the pink suits, saying UConn is probably a 2 seed RIGHT NOW. But whether someone is right or wrong in their analysis, I am
just posting this to keep an eye on what the outsiders think. By posting anyone else's opinion doesn't mean I endorse it- in fact Joey Brackets has been wrong and he probably will be in some of his final brackets. But I think he is someone to keep an eye on. That being said the NCAA selection committee probably isn't paying much attention to him and they aren't using the NET rankings as the final word either. I have listened to them interviewed in past years and a lot of what they do is subjective. You may not want to hear it but that's what it will come down to in part.

By posting anyone else's opinion doesn't mean I endorse it- in fact Joey Brackets has been wrong and he probably will be in some of his final brackets. But I think he is someone to keep an eye on. That being said the NCAA selection committee probably isn't paying much attention to him.

I hear ya... same as the other guy who has an opinion that I posted Jerry Palm/CBS. These guys are as much into self promotion, as bringing any real value, like the NET, from the NCAA.

But as I mentioned above, hope Joey is right with the East thing for Uconn and Albany/NYC at the end of the year. Like always seeding Uconn's women when Bridgeport is a site. It always helps with fan interest/$$$... which the NCAA seems to like.

But as I mentioned above, hope Joey is right with the East thing for Uconn and Albany/NYC at the end of the year. Like always seeding Uconn's women when Bridgeport is a site. It always helps with fan interest/$$$... which the NCAA seems to like.
That's exactly the point- you don't really care to catch Virginia in a Sweet 16, but if you have to do it, I want it to be in NYC. Ditto with Alabama- let them have the 1 seed if they have to play UConn in NYC to get to the Final 4.

Speaking of the UConn women, they are #3 in the NET ranking, despite (or because of) the brutality of their schedule, and the unrelenting slew of injuries. Having watched this team all year, we are left wondering what they might do or be if fully healthy, which they haven't been all year:
Also having watched this team all year, I would say it's miraculous that they are in this position with the injuries they have had, playing without a bench all year, playing girls at different positions, dealing with the constant shuffling of lineups due to injuries, not to mention Geno's health issues. There have been games where their chemistry looked off because players were coming back and adjusting. It looked like Caroline was just starting to turn it up to another level and then she gets concussed. This has been their most difficult season ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT