ADVERTISEMENT

Bouknight Headed TO NBA

Bouknight now has 2 DNPs and a total of 2 minutes in the 2 games he has actually played in. So 4 games in which he has been healthy, and a total of 2 minutes of action. This is very concerning because right now Terry Rozier is out and the Hornets are starting LaMelo Ball at Point Guard and Kelly Oubre at shooting guard. Oubre has played well, but he is on his 4th team in 4 years at age 26 despite having averaged around 16-17 points per game the last 4 years, Oubre had 43 minutes at SG last night and the only guard who saw minutes off the bench was Ish Smith, a pure point guard. Charlotte could be a playoff team this year but they are not a championship contender or even close, and if they are not playing Bouknight at all I can think of a few reasons:

(1) he is in Jimmy Borrego's doghouse for poor D/erratic handle leading to TOs, or because of off court issue we do not know about
(2) Borrego wants to see improvement in practices with what he wants which he has not seen so far. This sort of goes along with (1)
(3) Borrego likes what he is seeing from Oubre and is riding him until he has reason not to
(4) A trade is in the works? (does not really make sense and I am not aware of a team hurting for guards right now)

I don't know that any of this bodes well for James. He needs to get out of the Borrego Dog House. Borrego is known to emphasize defense and ball movement on offense, and Bouknight may not be his kind of player.

Last edited:
My thinking regarding James is that with all his ability, he really needed another year like Ray, Rip, Emeka, Ben, Kemba, etc. (3 years guys) to learn how to win in big games in a true pressure college setting (w/fans). He just gives off this vibe that he's "to cool for school" (not literally) even though he had so much to still develop at regarding game time toughness, vs. college comp.

Problem is that being a projected lottery pick, you can't fault him and business wise ($8.5 mil) he had to leave. I thought he was more effective competing in the flow of the game his FR year as a sidekick to Vital, who really didn't understand how to play the game "right" himself, until his SR year. Hopefully James is able to deal with his situation as a paid professional. Sitting on the bench, when everyone was telling you "your the man" the year before, probably isn't the best thing for a baby pros confidence. I think even G league PT would be better right now. But he needs to get rid of, IMHO, this false bravado that's put him in his current situation and embrase what ever is thrown at him now to learn how to "man up ' and develop mentally as a pro.

Last edited:
Another healthy DNP last night. Charlotte has played 5 games and he has 3 DNPs and 1 minute each in the other 2 games. If you are Bouknight this is not what you want. At this point it is looking more and more like the only way he breaks out of Borrego doghouse is if one of the other guards gets hurt, something you really do not want to see. Las night, once again, Borrego only played 3 guards, Ball, Oubre and Smith, all receiving minutes distributions in the 20s, meaning he is using some bigger lineups. The key player in Charlotte's 4-1 start has been former MSU star Miles Bridges, who is averaging 26 points per game. Funny but I always thought he was overrated in college but he seems to be now blossoming as a pro.

After reading this article below, I am starting to think Bouknight is another guy on the wrong team. This mentions that the Hornets are"loaded" with guards, and that is with Terry Rozier out, but at the moment they are only playing 3 guards. So if they are struggling to find him minutes for him now, it will be an even greater struggle when Rozier is back. A trade seems to be in order:

Life in the Doghouse remains tough for Bouknight. He has only played a total of 5 minutes in 5 of 13 games (1.6 mpg) and has now racked up 8 healthy DNPs including last night:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT