ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco Took His Antics (and Lies) to Nebraska

Sorry....I just couldn't help myself....... after his debacle and press conference following the Northwestern loss (first tweet)...

...his D gives up 54 points in a loss to MINN:

Article- Nebraska coordinator Bob Diaco calls Minnesota loss 'terrible, terrible moment'
(the guy sounds like he took to many hits to his head during his playing days)
"The Huskers dropped to 4-6 and saw their bowl ambitions all but disappear in the lopsided loss. Things might not get better for the Huskers next week with a road test at No. 14 Penn State. It remains to be seen if Riley and Diaco will make the trip."

Last edited:
That was one bizarre press conference. I kind of think at this point Diaco has been exposed as a nonentity as a coach. His press conferences at both UConn and Nebraska are best described as a theater of the absurd.

The only soothing part of the "Bob Fiasco" era is that the farther they get away from it, the less painful it becomes to Uconn. Dave Denedict should have stopped right there, when he commented on the Diaco contract extension but we really can't blame him for signing off on something Herbst and Warde Manual negotiated the terms on:

"The conversations started on Dec. 3." That's when UConn President Susan Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel broached the topic. At that point, the Huskies were preparing for the program's first bowl game in five years. In the months to follow, Manuel left for Michigan and David Benedict took over as UConn athletic director. "There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."

Looks like his $3.4 million "for not coaching the team" goes off the books this year
because "Diaco must be paid his buyout within 60 days of his Jan. 2 termination " . With the way he tanked the FB attendance, then what Ollie has done to the hoops numbers and with the lowball TV money from being in the AAC, Uconn can't have to many more of these bad coaching contracts. And you have to give Benedict credit for getting Edsall (Contract) for an annual salary of about one third (unless he produces) of Diaco's buyout. Here's a read on where the coaching contract money comes from... but it's not getting better

No Student Fees Go Toward Diaco's Buyout, According To UConn

Last edited:
Do you think Nebraska will fire Diaco? How long is his contract with them? It seems like the Diaco contracts with UConn and Nebraska were money for nothing on a really strange guy. If I was the Nebraska AD I would be very concerned especially in regards to that presser Diaco gave and I would bring him in the office and ask him what was up with that. It’s just a really odd way to handle a difficult post game press conference. Diaco isn’t the first coach to ever handle a difficult presser in a strange way but I can only remember one presser that was stranger and it’s my ATF postgame press conference after a bad loss. Will post the link below.

Do you think Nebraska will fire Diaco? How long is his contract with them? It seems like the Diaco contracts with UConn and Nebraska were money for nothing on a really strange guy. If I was the Nebraska AD I would be very concerned especially in regards to that presser Diaco gave and I would bring him in the office and ask him what was up with that. It’s just a really odd way to handle a difficult post game press conference. Diaco isn’t the first coach to ever handle a difficult presser in a strange way but I can only remember one presser that was stranger and it’s my ATF postgame press conference after a bad loss. Will post the link below.
I know they're not happy with BD or their HC Mike Riley. Plus you have former Husker QB Scott Frost putting together a undefeated season at UCF (after the great offense he had @ Oregon..finalist for the Broyles Award,) Though Frost has a love/hate relationship with Nebraska ..this is what happens when you have a good year as a coach in the AAC.... they have choices...UCF donors dig deep, try to convince Scott Frost to ignore Gators
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2-story.html&usg=AOvVaw0aZbwuLh8rerV13crTkGG1
But to your second question:

Diaco talked his way into a 2 year deal, but if Riley's gone...
New NU DC Bob Diaco becomes highest-paid assistant

My all time favorite bizarre postgame presser after a horrible loss goes to Kevin Borseth:

Classic!!!!
that's some funny chit...I can take a coach talking like that because he's the real deal..and he has passion (we had one who was almost as bad ;))....none of this phony, fake positivity or measured BS that comes out of coaches like Diaco's mouth ( even KO at times like you mentioned on the other board)......most fans with half a brain can start seeing through a phony during tough times and the worst part is that players do too...... and eventually they will start quitting on you if you can't be real with them...... IMHO

Borseth is the real deal as a coach. He has won 662 games and is the current coach at Wisconsin Green Bay, his second stint there. His teams have consistently made the NCAA tourney but have had problems advancing beyond the second round.

I guess his BS act got old real fast in Nebraska......but he thinks it's everyone else & he's just misunderstood.

Diaco tends to have that effect on defenses ( he leaves behind too) & seem to take ($$$) more than he leaves....
"Riley’s new defensive coordinator, Bob Diaco, oversaw one of the worst defenses in school history. NU allowed 6.34 yards per play and 36.4 points per game. Diaco’s press conferences got increasingly awkward as the season wore on, and Diaco smarted from the criticism he received for what he called honesty. "

Last edited:
Reactions: aman kidwai
Last edited:
MIke Riley was fired today so it looks like Diaco will be looking for a job. Nebraska will not be paying buyouts of its last two head coaches for the next 14 months. How long are they on the hook for Diaco assuming he has also been fired?

Will ND take Diaco back at a scaled down salary? To be a line or secondary coach?

MIke Riley was fired today so it looks like Diaco will be looking for a job. Nebraska will not be paying buyouts of its last two head coaches for the next 14 months. How long are they on the hook for Diaco assuming he has also been fired?
Will ND take Diaco back at a scaled down salary? To be a line or secondary coach?
Well yeah, that's what all these tweets I posted today were about, my bad...

also: I guess Nebraska gave BD a 2 yr deal @ about $850K per.. so they're on the hook for that too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT