ADVERTISEMENT

Boatshow update

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
New read on his Euopean experience from Boat himself....says he's adjusting to Europe, it's been difficult..... "The basketball is totally different and the living is a culture shock. " ....." my family, the ( US) culture of basketball is something I really miss. One day, I hope to be back playing in the states in the best league in the world."

Thanks for posting this, it's a very good read. The adjustment would probably be easier for Boat if he was a single guy. If I was a baller in my 20s, I would relish the opportunity to play pro ball anywhere in Europe. I think it's a great self educational tool to live abroad, learn other cultures and lifestyles and even a different style of play of basketball. Boat is likely highly valued in Europe for his defensive ballhawking skills. Most Eurodudes don't play defense like he does, except for Giffey. In any event he will probably come back as a more well rounded person and he will have made money all of us wish we could make instead of doing what we do. So I think he is a very fortunate guy.

Reactions: UconNell
Speaking of nightmares, it seems Enes Kantner, a Eurodude who plays in the NBA, is having his own nightmare in Romania:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...homa-city-thunder-says-being-detained-romania

Regarding Boat, he is very attached to his family/mother, and that likely creates a lot of homesickness. If he is single he easily gets over that by meeting a nice German, Czech or substitute your choice of nice hot Eurogirl. Several UConn players have European wives and families, among them Gerry Besselink who played pro ball in Finland or Norway. In life, we find ourselves in different circumstances and situations from what we anticipated, and sometimes you have to adapt, whether it's to a new job, a new boss, a new neighborhood, or a new country and culture. Boat is in the adaptation process. I am sure he will be successful on and off the court, because he is a champion.

Speaking of nightmares, it seems Enes Kantner, a Eurodude who plays in the NBA, is having his own nightmare in Romania:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...homa-city-thunder-says-being-detained-romania

Regarding Boat, he is very attached to his family/mother, and that likely creates a lot of homesickness. If he is single he easily gets over that by meeting a nice German, Czech or substitute your choice of nice hot Eurogirl. Several UConn players have European wives and families, among them Gerry Besselink who played pro ball in Finland or Norway. In life, we find ourselves in different circumstances and situations from what we anticipated, and sometimes you have to adapt, whether it's to a new job, a new boss, a new neighborhood, or a new country and culture. Boat is in the adaptation process. I am sure he will be successful on and off the court, because he is a champion.
I hear ya KSTW, but I guess you've never had fan girls or groupies before, you don't need to go to Europe to find women( plural)... Or maybe he doesn't want the ethnic type of girl your talking about ( if he's even looking for a wife/girlfriend). And like Hardy found out you better not mess with someone's sister, girlfriend, daughter etc in some foreign country where you don't know their customs or what they might think of your intentions. So to suggest any of that is a huge reach on your part to "his" or any players European equation.....Maybe the smarter move would be to be all about business and your career, which I would be if I was in his situation wanting to improve my game with the hope of getting back to the states/NBA.

True....the bottom line is that in these situations loneliness is a possible issue, and there are ways to alleviate it.

I guess that Eastern European experience "ain't nuttin" to write home about.....man what a bunch of freakin' nut jobs they have over there:

Last edited:
That’s bizarre! It looks like the guy is holding some kind of weapon????? Don’t they have cops or security at these games? It looks like Boatright was left to defend himself out there.

Here's the end of the game that made the fan crazy... did the fan bet on the game and Boat's sneaky steal ( kind of a weak play) and dunk cover the spread ?
....at 3:15 mark:

It was a kind of weak play by Boatright but doesn’t justify a physical assault. If that happened here that fan is arrested on the spot. Boat may have learned that security is weak and every man for himself if you try a weak game ending move like that.

It was a kind of weak play by Boatright but doesn’t justify a physical assault. If that happened here that fan is arrested on the spot. Boat may have learned that security is weak and every man for himself
True without question ....where was the security ?

Blades,

Except for soccer games in England I don’t think European teams and sports venues invest much money in security or cops. They have a much more open society than we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT