ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten going coast to coast !

So is the PAC 12 which is eyeing expansion, maybe even by adding UConn, especially with Mora's conference connections:

So is the PAC 12 which is eyeing expansion, maybe even by adding UConn, especially with Mora's conference connections:
Not that I'm surprised at what money, power and control has done to college sports, conferences, rivalries and traditions, since the BC, etc, (ESPN funded) to the ACC started this roller coaster ride years ago. But I guess it never ends and it's always "anything can happen day", despite how much something like this sounded bat shit crazy just a few months ago, LOL!

Personally, I'd say Uconn is in a great position and I'm more than happy with the Big East hoops, Indy FB set up. But if Uconn ended up as back fill in the ACC, ( more likely) that would be fine too. Especially TV money wise compared to what the Uconn AD makes now. That would take the Clemson's, FLA St, etc, chasing $$$ ( very likely) into one of the new " P-2's ", (if they can get out before the 2036 ACC GOR's with ESPN ends). Uconn feading back into an all sports conference once again with BC, Cuse, Pitt, Va Tech, Ville, etc would be like going back to the future !

The even less likely thing would be if the B1G finally got Notre Dame ( a non AAU school like Uconn), since rumors are they're not done, plus say Oregon, Stanford. Then added Uconn to even it out for a New England presence, strong Mens & Gals BB, baseball plus another hockey school to get the Big Ten conference up to an even 8 teams.

Last edited:
The criteria for CR seems to be very analogous to the criteria for Country Club membership back in the day. It is all being dictated by perceptions of elitism based on income streams/name recognition. It's basically a race to see who can have the most economically elite Country Club for TV/streaming/cable rights on broadcasting packages. Unfortunately, the new laws in regards to NIL for athletes only serve to fuel this elitism. Show me the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also remember we talked about this in the other CR thread (post #68) and what a joke it was with nothing in writing ? Well I guess the B1G confirmed that stabbing a member of "the Alliance" in the back is all good when " SHOW ME the MONEY " is on the table, LOL!

Hmmm, as always Notre Dame is in the drivers seat (AAU academic school or not). If ND says yes, (why wouldn't they ?) I'd still think Oregon is a toss up with Stanford ( and their $38 billion endowment) for a match and I'd have to think the B1G would be done at an oversized 18 members for now. Though ND still has to get out of that ACC deal......

"The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC."

But with the amount of $$$ the B1G's next TV contract is being talked about ($75-100 Mil per school), I'm sure the Irish will figure it out. Because ND always $eems to do what's best for ND !

Last edited:
I had always thought ND benefitted from NOT being in the BIg 10 as their schedule has always been littered with easy wins over teams like Army, Navy, Air Force and other lightweight teams. As long as ND can have their cake and eat it too by being Indy and maintaining TV contracts while also being able to dictate a non conference schedule that insures a 1 loss record, why change? Every other school would love to be in the situation of being able to dictate their own schedule, insure a certain amount of wins and ease to a playoff berth. They just need to schedule maybe 4 tough games and pull off the appearance of being competitive with the power conference teams. They have been doing this for a long time regardless of CR.

I had always thought ND benefitted from NOT being in the BIg 10 as their schedule has always been littered with easy wins over teams like Army, Navy, Air Force and other lightweight teams. As long as ND can have their cake and eat it too by being Indy and maintaining TV contracts while also being able to dictate a non conference schedule that insures a 1 loss record, why change? Every other school would love to be in the situation of being able to dictate their own schedule, insure a certain amount of wins and ease to a playoff berth. They just need to schedule maybe 4 tough games and pull off the appearance of being competitive with the power conference teams. They have been doing this for a long time regardless of CR.
Me too, I'd agree all things being equal, Indy is best for ND, but things are becoming very unequal very fast.

I just listened to a great podcast from Uconn grad and Fox Sports guy, now living in LA, who broke everything down. He estimates the ACC/ESPN only pays ND about $10-15 MIL for hoops, etc membership in their conference ( plus an agreed 5 FB games a year) and NBC pays them $15 mil on the Indy FB contract.... for a grand total of maybe $25-30 mil.

He says NBC should sit down now & see if they can bridge ND's money gap. ( but even a bump up ( $25, 30, 35 mil for the FB + the ACC/ ESPN's 10-15 mil?) can't get close to the crazy money (over $75 mill+) the B1G's talking about per school. So it should be interesting.

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone can predict what will happen. I think of CR as like the game of musical chairs. The goal of the game is not to be the last one standing. The only difference with CR is the last one standing is left out. So the question is whether you grab a chair in one conference when a chair might be available for another conference later in the game. There are so many moving parts and it seems like the Power 5 could be moving towards a Power 2 or 3. I also don't rule out the possibility of the Courts being involved at some point, again, to decide antitrust issues based on what is happening now. It's not 1985 any more

My opinion is not particularly well informed or better informed than anyone else's. But does it make sense for UConn to kiss and make up with former Big East FB schools like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, I would say only from the standpoint that it makes sense geographically to play those schools

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone can predict what will happen. I think of CR as like the game of musical chairs. The goal of the game is not to be the last one standing. The only difference with CR is the last one standing is left out. So the question is whether you grab a chair in one conference when a chair might be available for another conference later in the game. There are so many moving parts and it seems like the Power 5 could be moving towards a Power 2 or 3. I also don't rule out the possibility of the Courts being involved at some point, again, to decide antitrust issues based on what is happening now. It's not 1985 any more

My opinion is not particularly well informed or better informed than anyone else's. But does it make sense for UConn to kiss and make up with former Big East FB schools like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, I would say only from the standpoint that it makes sense geographically to play those schools
I was serious and he seemed like a friendly poster who's been on here before and was asking harmless questions from us Husky fans ( not that there are many on here ) so I figured you could respond to his post too, so I'll link this...

Last edited:
B12 making a run at a P-3 status ?
"Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah were mentioned specifically as the teams being targeted by the Big 12, sources tell CBS Sports. There is also consideration of adding Oregon and Washington to make the Big 12 an 18-team league, the largest in the FBS."

So what happens to Stanford, CAL, OR ST & WASH ST if BIG 12 goes to 18?

I could see a Notre Dame and Stanford pair for an 18 team B1G.
( Then do CAL, WASH ST and Oregon St become Uconn, Cincy and USF of the old Big East ?)

Last edited:
Uconn's AD chimes in...and it's interesting that alot of these self proclaimed P-5 schools are scrambling now for a life raft. Since way to many are really nothing but bottom feeders, who have won nothing over the years but have been able to go along for a P-5 ride.

"At some point, these leagues could start cannibalizing their own, wondering why Northwestern or Vanderbilt is getting the same piece of the pie as Ohio State or Alabama."

I agree 100%-
“Just like we proactively made a decision to change conferences, I do think we certainly feel like we’re in more control of where we stand, versus (being in the American). While it was a competitive conference in a lot of ways, there was nobody committed to staying there. Everyone was always looking for something different. It was more of a matter of opportunity......“However,” he pointed out, “the landscape is changing in lots of different ways. You have to be cognizant of that, and try to manage it in the best way you possibly can, for whatever is best for your institution.”

NHR's Dave Borges adds-
Certainly, Benedict admits that UConn’s fan base and coaches are more comfortable and confident with where the athletic program currently sits. All UConn can do for now is wait for the dominoes to fall. And also get better at football. And don’t drop football. Feel free to laugh in the face of the next person who suggests UConn should drop its football program. Without football, no matter how bad, there is no chance of joining the big boys.

“Anything can happen,” Benedict admits. “But I still think most of these decisions are determined by economics. If you can show me where a potential change makes sense, economically, I would tell you, ‘Yeah, that’s a possibility.”

Borges closes with-
And that’s why UCLA gets invited to the Big Ten. But remember this: the Bruins’ most success on the gridiron the past 20 years came with Jim Mora on the sidelines. Mora, of course, now coaches UConn. Improving the Husky program is the best way for UConn to at least position itself better in those conference realignment conversations.

Last edited:
Great read on HC Mora from Mike Anthony of the New Haven Register- UConn football recruits have been drawn to coach Jim Mora’s optimism and confidence....With Husky hoops comection and yep he said it:

“First of all, he explained that he has a goal of joining the ACC within the next few years,” said Harper ( a 3 star WR from AOF) , who committed to UConn in late June. “Obviously, they have to have a few respectable seasons for the ACC to really take them seriously. But he also talked about how there are no professional teams in Connecticut, so if you can just get the attention and respect of everyone in Connecticut, we will have a good fan base.”

Also- Cam Chadwick, a defensive back from Somerville, N.J, is a cousin of former Huskies point guard R.J. Cole.....Cole said of UConn “That’s the spot,” to Chadwick, who was ultimately chose the Huskies over Wake Forest and Duke during his on-campus visit..

Cheat sheet to the article for those who need it<<

There are so many moving parts and it seems like the Power 5 could be moving towards a Power 2 or 3. But does it make sense for UConn to kiss and make up with former Big East FB schools like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, I would say only from the standpoint that it makes sense geographically to play those schools

Another writer and more guess work.....( but Connecticut is on the Atlantic Coast so that part would make sense. Not that anything else does lately in CR, LOL ! )

Last edited:
Currently 7 home and homes series are scheduled/in progress -Boston College, Cuse( x4 ), Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake ( plus one former ACC, with a H& H series vs. Maryland).....and more to come ?

Last edited:
Tranghese # not mad- Karma ? as the ACC who started this CR madness falls farther behind

“I mean, there are some good programs, when this is all settled, who are going to be left standing alone,” Tranghese said. “That’s scary. Very scary. Having been someone who had to endure this, I feel badly for anybody who this happens to, because it’s the worst feeling in the world.”

In the spring of 2003, he said the ACC was “ruining programs"

I don’t know what the word is,” Tranghese said, before settling on one. “Raided. For a team. “That was the first time, and there were no consequences. And we were damaged, and the ACC obviously improved its stake. I think people looked around and said, ‘Well, if there’s no negative consequences, why can’t we do it?’ Because I think up until then, people were hesitant to do something like that. "

Last edited:
Was reading that Mike Gundy's press conference drew a big laugh when he said that this song reminded him of Conference Realignment. It's a classic song from the 1970s sung by Karen Carpenter, who in my opinion had one of, if not the most beautiful singing voices of that era:

FWIW, Uconn beat writer goes over CR in a Youtube video linked below and how the AD's move to the Big East with INDY Football (similar to BYU) was the best possible move to position itself for further moves in the future. Decent listen from a " University Prez perspective" as ..... Matt talks CR with @TJAltimore - Strategy Consultant | Corporate, Gov't, Higher Ed, & Sports | USC + UPenn Wharton (MBA) alum.

Last edited:
I just listened to a great podcast from Uconn grad and Fox Sports host, now living in LA, who broke everything down. He estimates the ACC/ESPN only pays ND about $10-15 MIL for hoops, etc membership in their conference ( plus an agreed 5 FB games a year) and NBC pays them $15 mil on the Indy FB contract....He says NBC should sit down now & see if they can bridge ND's money gap.
I guess Notre Dame thinks they and NBC $hould talk ......

Also, the room ain't big enough for the 2 of us....

But I guess it never ends and it's always "anything can happen day", despite how much something like this sounded bat shit crazy just a few months ago, LOL!
AGAIN...... I can see how coast to coast travel isn't a big deal for USC and UCLA, when they are talking about a $75-100 mil a year TV payouts per school in the B1G, but how exactly does this work for the Zags (especially for Olympic sports) on a what.....$5-6 mil TV payout from Fox Sports ? .... I'm not buying it.

Basically because Gonzaga is a basketball only school, they need the Big East more than the Big East needs them. They play in a weak conference. The common ground is that they are a basketball only school like all the schools in the Big East, except for UConn. This all goes back to UConn not being able to find the right conference home because of the football side of things. But as far as travel goes UConn already is traveling to Nebraska to play Creighton. Might as well add a second leg to that road trip and play at Gonzaga.

Basically because Gonzaga is a basketball only school, they need the Big East more than the Big East needs them. They play in a weak conference.
True, as Norlander from CBS mentioned a few months ago especially with BYU's exit to the Big 12.....but

Here is some other random speculation on Big East expansion. Of these schools, Wichita State makes the most sense to me:
I remember Val talking about BE additions last year, as mentioned in the article, so you never know. But where's the money coming from to make it worthwhile ? WICH ST yep... I also could see her wanting to be ready if the ACC needed to talk to Uconn for backfill at some point.

Last edited:
Nick Saban: Megaconferences will create Caste System
Wow talk about ironic ! The snakes who started this all, the ACC with ESPN's help, are now worried about the greater good of college sports

"Singularly commercial" is today's reality. Phillips talked about avoiding gated communities in college athletics while claiming the ACC is on the desired side of that gate. He’s correct. It is … for now.
Except the ACC all but started this expansion craze two decades ago when it raided the old Big East for Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech. Ten years later it finished the conference off by adding Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse. ...Now the ACC is trying to claim some moral high ground, as it sees its two chief competitors erecting a gated community inside the gated community? It is a bit hard to swallow."

Last edited:
California Governor Gavin Newsom Demands Explanation From UCLA for Pac-12 exit:
Leave it to a politician, especially one who may be running for a higher office in 2024, to ask someone an unanswerable question in order to score political points.

Last edited:
California Governor Gavin Newsom Demands Explanation From UCLA for Pac-12 exit:
Leave it to a politician, especially one who may be running for a higher office in 2024, to ask someone an unanswerable question in order to score political points.
True, kinda like Blumenthal's petty political lawsuit vs. the ACC that did nothing for Uconn but win a chump change payout that proved to later keep the school permanently cemented outside of the P-5.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So did NBC joining in on the B1G TV deal help the Irish remain INDY ? That's the way it sounds and it's probably not the worse thing for Uconn as an Indy theirselves (with a CBS TV deal), if they do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT