ADVERTISEMENT

assumption thread

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
Terrible start, terrible turnover, this might be a very long year.

this team is all boat, Cassell, Hamilton. Purvis seems lost.

How about some facts

Even a score might help understand what you're talking about????

Poor point guard play and Cassell is the only guy on the team who can shoot the 3. 12 assists and 14 TOs. So for the 2nd straight game more TOs than assists, although at least this game it isn't worse than 1-2 ratio. Purvis had a team leading 5 TOs and he clearly does not know how to play in the halfcourt game. I hope Calhoun comes back soon because you can't beat zone defenses with only one guy being able to knock down 3s. Unless UConn is running and in transition, Purvis is an ineffective player.

Box score says UConn outrebounded Assumption by 1. This is a huge disappointment. Other than Hamilton nobody hit the boards for UConn. Hamilton with 12 points, 12 boards and 6 assists really the only guy who really balled up today although Boat and Cassell were decent. Basically the rest of the team sucked after those 3. Brimah could only stay on the Court for 16 minutes due to bad fouls. T-Sam has yet to have an assist in two games of action. What happened to him being a pass-first point guard? Of 12 team assists 10 were by Hamilton and Boat. The rest of the team had 2.

Very disappointing 2 exhibition game season to say the least. Team has a long way to go to be a contender for anything.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/exhib2.html

I actually thought Nolan played ok defensively, on offense not much. He was not as bad as he was Tuesday but wasn't good. He is playing more minutes than he should due to Brimah constant foul trouble.

The team has played two very disappointing exhibition games. They are clearly young and have a long way to go to being a good team. But I still have confidence that KO will have them balling at the end of the year. Everyone be patient. This team has talent they have to put it together and it will be a LONG process.

Postgame Comments Of KO

UConn Head Coach Kevin Ollie
We had a couple of guys that played UConn Basketball and a couple of guys that didn't. We've got to stay connected as a group. We've got to play hard. The same thing I preached the last game.
I liked the way we shot the ball a little bit better. Seventeen fast breaks - it was one thing that we tried to capitalize on after last game and we did that.
On Freshman guard Daniel Hamilton
He was a bright spot. He has a point guard mindset. He can make passes. He just has vision and he's a great rebounder. He's a great player once he starts settling down and is more consistent on the defensive end. But I can't find fault in his game in the last two games, because his energy has been great. He's going to keep getting better and better because he's obsessive for approval. He's in the gym every day. And that's what we want from our basketball players.
On UConn's turnovers today
Rodney had five in 16 minutes, a couple of charges. We've got to have him take care of the ball a little better if he's going to be out there. I think he was just trying to go through too many people, but that's something we can correct. Daniel did a great job with six assists and no turnovers. Boatright was four assists and no turnovers. I'll take that any day.
Senior guard Ryan Boatright
We made a little bit of progress. That's all we work for is to get better every time we step out there on the floor. We still made some mistakes we made last game, but that's why it's exhibition and that's why we practice.
We got up in transition a little more. That's because we were getting stops, getting rebounds, so we were able to get out in transition. We have to get better still. Where we are at isn't going to get it done when we get to playing better teams.
On Daniel Hamilton
He's a natural born scorer. As long as he continues to play hard and play the right way, he's going to be a great player.
Redshirt sophomore guard Sam Cassell, Jr.
It's our first time playing against other teams. It's going to start slow, but after a while we're going to be good. We have a lot of talent.
On being a shooter
My whole life I practiced shooting the ball. My father and coaches told me it's going to be easy to guard you if you can't shoot the ball.
Freshman guard Daniel Hamilton
On the influence of his basketball playing brothers
I think I just learned from all my brothers. I take a part from each one of my brothers. I think I put it all together so I can do almost everything on the court. That's what I try to emphasize - that I won't have any weaknesses.

Re: Postgame Comments Of KO

You have to imagine that KO wasnt smoking crack when he thought we would only have Purvis for one year. Right now Purvis looks like a freshman mid level recruit, it must be the rust, he loves UCONN and stuck it out to be here so I am rooting for him. On the run this team is awesome but half court we cant hide the fact our bigs arent good.

I have reversed my thought that Brimah is the man for the next couple of years, I want Stone in here tomorrow. Not that Brimah wont be good but I thought he would be light years ahead of what I have seen in the past two games against SMALL teams. I thought he would have 2 double doubles with 15-20 points in one or both games.

Re: Postgame Comments Of KO

I'd be really happy if Amida can get to the point where he's reliable for the whole game....just do what he's doing now and not foul out. He doesn't need to learn any moves or improve his jumpshot. Play the same exact game as he does right now...just don't foul so much.

Being foul prone was a big problem for Brimah in these exhibition games. Okwandu had the same problem as a younger player at UConn. I think Chuck had several foul-outs in less than 10 minutes of action. If Brimah is not on the Court, UConn is a much weaker team. I am starting to agree with the notion that getting Stone is a very good idea. Meanwhile Brimah needs to dial it back a notch and find ways to stay on the Court.

I was unable to watch these exhibition games and while I was excited for Purvis this year I never understood why a majority of our fan base considered him gone after this season.

I understand it's only exhibition but everything I'm reading about his performances is a little worrisome. We, myself included, were all banking on him being Robin to Boatright's Batman right away.

He hasn't played competitive ball in quite some time and is coming off shoulder surgery to boot. I hope Rodney is just pressing and trying to do too much, his skill set is way too good for him to not put it all together under KO's tutelage

We all have to remember that this team is not just replacing graduated seniors but is also changing the style of play. It will take some time for all to make the necessary adjustments. Freshman to the college game with consistency of effort and adjustment to the speed of the game. Upperclassmen to the uptempo and pace. With Brimah in particular remember that he was not able to do the strength training and workouts during the offseason. His surgery was in April and it is just 6 months now. He is someone who will get stronger as the season progresses.

For those who remember the dream team of 89-90 they did not start hitting on all cylinders until January. They had some early season blowout losses to teams they handily beat later in the year. That team was also adjusting to an uptempo offense and a pressing defense.

My point is we really won't know if this team has what it takes until at least January. In the meantime they need to win as many games as possible in whatever way they need to do it.

If they live up to potential it will be because of teamwork and defense not perimeter shooting or dribble penetration.

TruConn,

That is a good historical perspective. With respect to the Dream Team, in December 1989 they lost to St. John's by 32 at Alumni Hall which I believe was their worst defeat ever down there. Less than a month later, in the Gampel Pavilion opener which I attended, they handily beat St. John's.

If this team is going to really be a transition team which they do have the personnel for, it will take time. It's certainly going to favor Purvis because in the halfcourt offense he is doing stuff that just isn't there and it is leading to charges and turnovers. However I noticed he is pretty good finishing in transition.

I note however that the defense was not so good yesterday allowing 7-15 3s and at times against Southern 3 point shooters were left open.

It might be January before the team starts to look good on both ends. It's possible a few losses will be sustained between now and then. As long as the team improves it should not be a concern. I think the talent is there.

This post was edited on 11/10 3:48 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

They will be fine. Purv is learning a new position and style of play on how WE do it at UCONN. It will take some time

Also I still see him gone and hope he does go pro because that means he balled this year if not will not be a good year for us. NEED him an Omar to hit shots and play aggressive team D. Kind of bad for a top 10 Burger boy to stay 4 years after highschool plus this year draft is weak and will be weaker than next year

I will wait until I see them live at Florida.... That game will tell me a whole lot about the growth or maybe lack thereof of this team by then!!

I know we have Duke but that neutral site and early same with Texas in Gample those are big games but at Florida will tell me most.

UConn could have 2 or 3 losses heading into that January 3 game at Florida. However, that is the game by which they should start playing well. Omar will be back for the Puerto Rico games. I figure between one possible loss in Puerto Rico, another to Texas and another to Duke, probably of those 3 possible losses UConn will have at most 2. Florida could then possibly be a loss and even if it is all I care about is that UConn play well and give them a ballgame.

I agree that Purvis needs game action and needs time to acclimate to the UConn way, but from what I saw in the exhibitions he has a long way to go. He was trying moves to make plays that just were not there, it reminded me a bit of Jerome Dyson at his worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT