ADVERTISEMENT

As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: 'Tired of being disrespected "

the Blades

Jan 20, 2003
Story from Mike Anthony, long time Hartford Courant / Hearst Media Group writer
Link: As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: 'Tired of being disrespected

"The Huskies raised and spent about $100,000 last season through NIL efforts. This season, the number is up ten-fold, to somewhere between $1-1.25 million.That is something Benedict was willing to discuss. “We’re going to double it next year, at least,” he said. “We’re going to pour gas on it. We’re going to win in football. I’m tired of being disrespected as a brand, nationally, because of football. "

"And I get it. But the difference as we sit here today is we have NIL and revenue sharing now. And before, when we were a BCS affiliate with the old Big East, we could recruit differently. When that went away, it really impacted this university in a way that is probably unique because of the location. There are very, very good recruits here ( CT/NE). But there are a limited number. And they all go, if you look at the top 10 every year, there’s one thing in common — all of them are going to power [conferences]. Whether NIL and revenue sharing will help us keep some of those kids will be determined, but we can recruit in a totally different way. We have an unbelievable university. We have great facilities. We have great coaches. And we’re going to start providing people with great opportunities in other ways.”

"In bringing in 50-plus new players this season, UConn spread more than $1 million into the hands of 20-plus recruits from the transfer portal, many of them, like Evers, having come from power programs. The goal is for $2-3 million to be shared with, say, 40 players of high expectations next offseason, giving UConn the size, depth and talent needed in an effort to show that the program can be more than something basketball and university support drags along.
“I’m not sure how many people did more than we did, in the Group of Five,” Benedict said of programs unaffiliated with power conferences. “It’s difficult to say where we stand because there’s no ledger of, here’s the list of what everyone did around the country in the Group of Five. But if we’re not in the top five, I’d be surprised. "

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT