ADVERTISEMENT

AP voters are ignorant........... voting Coaches are worse

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004

How in the world does not one person rank UConn in the top 25? A FT away from beating Creighton after 17 days off. All American Bouk clearly a stud......

This is STUPID.

If UConn won the game they might have gotten a bunch of votes, but this is not horseshoes or darts where being close counts for something. You win or you lose, and UConn didn't win the game. They went 7-30 on 3s and were outrebounded 48-41 and had one guy score 40 points with not much help from the rest of the team, so there were other reasons why UConn didn't win the game. Creighton is a very good team and losing to them really isn't the end of the world. The team will learn and grow from this loss.

UConn is 48 on the NET ranking and in the latest bracketology they were one of the last 4 at larges in on a 48 team NCAA tournament.

The NET ranking will go up with games and wins. Games and wins are what is important and that is what will juice the NET and other rankings. And bracketology.

Here's a different look with today's Ken Pom rankings for the Big East and the old conference mates, who seemed to have done a good job moving away from having several 200 or less bottom feeders in the league a few years ago. ( but with so many OOC games cancelled this year who really knows ?)

Kem-Pom-AAC-BE-Jan-3-21.jpg

Last edited:
It used to be that Georgetown in particular and to some extent Syracuse would schedule a ridiculous preconference slate of cupcakes back in the day. But these new ranking systems really punish you for scheduling cupcakes, so teams have moved away from that practice. I can recall that one coach who always rejected cupcake scheduling was John Cheney. His Temple teams would play brutal out of conference schedules and would make the NCAA tourney or be in the conversation every year despite just being above .500 because they had the top heavy OOC schedule.

FWIW, also noticed Uconn moved up to 28 ( Ken Pom) and 39 (NET) with the Marquette road win last night.

Last edited:
In the latest bracketology studies I have seen, UConn is still on the 10 line:

UConn just needs games and wins, and they have to beat Villanova or Creighton or Seton Hall. Out of the 5 remaining games against those teams, a minimum of 2 wins are needed and 3 would be great. 1-4 coupled with the existing loss against Creighton is not going to cut it.

Not that your logic doesn't make sense moving forward but with the teams ahead of us....we are easily top 20 compared to other teams and their wins and loses.

Last edited:
The NET rankings. not the AP rankings, are all that matters, so this thread's title is somewhat misguided. But why is USC ahead of UConn in the NET rankings? I presume it's because they have more games and more good wins. Also, I heard that Geno said to qualify for the NCAA a team MUST play 13 games, so UConn has a way to go to qualify for both men and women. Geno seemed to be more concerned with playing enough games than anything else, and the 13 game threshold has teams scrambling to try and get games rescheduled. Geno admitted UConn is part of that mad scramble.

Well it took a while but Uconn is ranked again. Now as Tyler basically said in his interview, can't pay to much attention to this stuff right now. If they do Depaul could easily be a trap game tonight if they take em' lightly, especially after the game result vs. them in Gampel last time out.

Last edited:
News flash, ESPN doesn't create the poll and Uconn doesn't get low balled out of it's content by the ESPiN'ers anymore... so who cares about anything their trash site says ...:p

The point was UConn is in their headline. Like Hurley said it's good for the brand. End of story.
I already posted the AP headline, ESPN just copied it, they're becoming more and more irrelvant especially for Uconn, you ought to follow Fox Sports, that's who is " showing Uconn the money !!! " (along with an assist from CBS Sports too)

Last edited:
So should the title now be the coaches are ignorant ? ;)....At the end of the day it's all window dressing....just stay focused and win !

NCAA Men's College Basketball Coaches Poll | USA Today ...
Yes and I will change it but only to ADD that the Coaches too......

I really like being ranked but I lose no sleep over it and only care how we play in the BE and NCAA tournaments. But since the polls are OPINIONS I like to have an one for them and its crazy when you see arguements that some teams like ours need more game and better wins when you can look up and down the rankings to see those with less games and far less impressive wins and without question WORSE losses.

Again, I just like paying attention to SO CALLED experts and their reasoning on where they rank teams as well the coaches. What is funny is that there is not ONE COACH in America that wants to see UConn on the court if they want to win the game. NOT ONE. Zags are the only ones who probably like their chances as I see them as a clear #1.

Reactions: the Blades
UConn is 27 in the coach's poll, which isn't so bad. Let's keep in mind that UConn has not beaten an actual top 25 team yet, and lost to the only one they played. At this point you just hope the team keeps playing and winning games and getting better. Going forward, beating Villanova, Creighton and Seton Hall will matter. You need wins in those games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT