AAC news

Discussion in 'UConn Basketball' started by the Blades, Jun 3, 2018.

1. the Blades

the Blades Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2. KhalidShockedTheWorld

KhalidShockedTheWorld Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Does this posture the AAC to seize Texas when the Big 12 finally collapses? Is that what this is really all about?

3. the Blades

Expand Collapse

There ya go....that shouldn't be to hard ..;)

Speaking of CR ...... is this what's in store for the next round: Conference re-alignment will come - shaped by tech, not TV

“Conference realignment will come,” he said (high ranking executive at Amazon) , “but probably not in the way you’re thinking.”
    He explained that Amazon, Netflix and perhaps even Apple, Google and Facebook, (aka ‘FAANG’), will be more instrumental than current TV networks in reshaping what we know now as conference affiliations. Naturally, I doubted this statement, until he explained why.
    “We already have more cash than ABC/ESPN, NBC or CBS” he said. “And, In another five or six years, it won’t even be close. And too, ”the tech companies are far more advanced than the networks when it comes to knowing how to use the future broadcast technologies, (streaming) and that gap is growing to"........

Again, back to my friend at Amazon. “We’re still seven or eight years away,” he said, “but if we had to restructure the landscape today, we would not start by negotiating with a conference. We don’t care about the SEC, Big 12 of Big 10 as a whole. In our opinion, those entities are not our focus.
    “Instead, we would want to identify 30 or 40 teams that command the biggest audience. That may be by reputation or location, but generally we all know that there are members in every one of these conferences that frankly don’t move the needle.

3 the Blades, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. the Blades

Expand Collapse

5. Russ Wood

Russ Wood Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

When the AAC moves to Texas methinks Aresco doesn't move with them

6. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Could be since he's an older northeast guy/ Middletown, CT native with his law degree from Uconn. But I can think of 1.8 million reasons ($) he might be willing
    to move..I'm lukewarm on him as the AAC commish' at that price, though his current contract is supposed to brings him to his early 70's.....
    AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has contract extended into 2022

6 the Blades, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  7. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

I also think some new blood is needed and Aresco’s days are numbered. His main (meager) contribution the last couple of years was to institute a “Power 6” marketing campaign in the vain hope that the media would bite and run with it, but it seemed to be mostly met with derision with only a few national writers acknowledging the quasi-legitimacy of the claim.

8. the Blades

Expand Collapse

9. the Blades

Expand Collapse

"the American Athletic Conference just got a whole lot more relevant. And make no mistake, the league needs UConn and Memphis to be relevant. And good."

“I think it’s very important,” Hardaway told Hearst Connecticut Media. “Both universities — they’ve won championships, we haven’t won any, but we’re used to competing in the Sweet 16, the finals. As competitive as we are, we all want the league to do well. The older guys who’ve been in the league for a while want to see it advance, get the notoriety they deserve. Hopefully, Danny and I can boost that.”

10. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

Although it’s nice from the PR standpoint, it doesn’t mean anything until these guys consistently win. Hurley has a good track record, Hardaway has as much of a coaching track record as Ollie did when UConn hired him. I thought Tubby Smith did a really good job, but he seems to be perceived as a good game coach and not such a good recruiter. As with Ollie, losing really good players to transfers never helps.

However in the big picture, I like what AAC has done the last few years adding Wichita State, adding some great coaches like Kelvin Sampson and Mike Dunleavy, and generally looking like they could be a legit challenger to the power conferences. Now the AAC has to take another step and start doing better in the NCAA tourney. Cincy’s loss out of the tourney last year and Cronin’s behavior after the loss were unacceptable. They did very little to relieve the perception that they are a perennial team that’s going out second round or Sweet 16. They and UConn need to do better. Remember what the Big East was at one time - it’s achievable in basketball. Memphis is a team like UConn, like Cincy, like Wichita State, that can be in the NCAA every year. Just have to do damage once you are in the tourney otherwise all this talk means nothing.

11. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Tubby Smith ....ouch: " Last season, Memphis averaged 4,583 fans per game — a 48-year low for the program." ... Just 4 years ago Memphis was averaging 16,121................and I thought KO was an energy vampire to a fanbase ( 10,134 in 2014 to 7829 last year)

I think that's all we need to know about Tubby...:eek:

12. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

Memphis did win 21 games last year so that stat is odd.........that fans would bail on a 21 win team.

13. the Blades

Expand Collapse

14. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

I really do not feel like I have a very good handle on the league next year and will have to defer to Borges and his picks. My sense is that UCF could be the best team in the league, and that Memphis has much better than 8th place talent, but beyond that I really do not know what will happen. We do not know if Hardaway isn't a Kevin Ollie in waiting, as far as being over his head as a college head coach. This is a league that will eat inexperienced coaches alive. Cronin, Marshall, Sampson, Dunleavy, Dawkins, are all proven big time coaches. Hurley is close to being proven- needs to do it at the higher level now.