ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 MBB team

Wow...... Donovan is one seriously big human !

(click to enlarge)

FYzWMUqWYAEKOqL

He is a big dude for sure. Will be interested to see how developed he is at this point. I would think just based on size he should help with rebounding and blocked shots if nothing else.

"The 6-foot-8 forward was named the Gatorade New Hampshire Player of the Year following his 2021-22 season at New Hampton School in which he averaged 25.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.9 blocks per game while connecting on 60.3% of his field-goal attempts. He spent a post-grad year at IMG Academy in Florida and left early to join the Huskies during last year’s spring semester."

ALT Link-

I think all really good teams need a few guys who can stick 3s. I remember when UConn had the dominant run through the 2004 NCAA tournament to the championship, they combined very good D and shot blocking with lights out 3 point shooting, primarily from Rashad Anderson and Ben Gordon. Gordon got hot in the Big East tournament and never cooled off after that. Anderson was also draining 3s in bunches. Similarly the 2014 championship team had 3 starters who shot 3s over 40% for the season: Giffey, Daniels and Shabazz. The 3 point shooting spaced the floor enabling Shabazz to get into spaces and make mid range jumpers as well. Those 2 of UConn's title teams 3'd and D'd their way to NCAA titles.

The graduation of Tyler Polley created a void at the designated zone buster position. I kind of thought Polley had a disappointing final season at UConn. His shooting percentage was OK but not what I was expecting from him. Anderson, Giffey and others were better and more consistent 3 point shooters. I am hoping Joey can be the designated zone buster, Alleyne will also contribute 3s and of course Hawkins who I think will be much better this year shooting 3s. Jordan was 33% and I think he will bump it up to the high 30s this coming season.

We already have a Joey Brackets. So will Joey C become "Joey Buckets"?

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
I'd also add the need for a Ricky Moore type off the bench who can slow down a small guard ( say like Tyus Edney -the year B4 he got to Storrs or Allen Iverson), when Uconn plays a team with those quick PG's.
Rothstein is on campus-

Starters-
Tristan Newton.......6-5/190....PG.....SR--------Jordan Hawkins......6-5/195......SG.....SO
Andre Jackson .......6-6/210.....F/G....JR--------Adama Sanogo........6-9/250......C......JR

plus one of-
Naheem Alleyne......6-4/195......SG......SR
Samson Johnson.....6-10/215....F.........SO
Alex Karaban............6-8/210.......F........FR

BENCH-
Hassan Diarra ..........6-2/190......CG.....JR
Joey Calcaterra........6-3/180......SG.....GR
Donovan Clingan......7-2/265......C.......FR
Richie Springs...........6-9/230......F.......RS JR

Last edited:
Rothstein must have liked what he is seeing from Samson Johnson in practice because I would have thought Alleyne would start based on experience and 3 point shooting production. But it's nice to hear he thinks that the outside shooting will be better.

That lineup he is projecting is very big and could be prone to matchup problems with smaller quicker guards like they had last year. And maybe to small ball teams generally, but that's why they got Diarra and Alleyne I presume. Anyone remember what Bryce Aiken did to UConn last year? They lost that game at Seton Hall due to terrible backcourt D. And still almost won the game despite the bad D

Rothstein must have liked what he is seeing from Samson Johnson in practice because I would have thought Alleyne would start based on experience and 3 point shooting production. But it's nice to hear he thinks that the outside shooting will be better.

That lineup he is projecting is very big and could be prone to matchup problems with smaller quicker guards like they had last year. And maybe to small ball teams generally, but that's why they got Diarra and Alleyne I presume. Anyone remember what Bryce Aiken did to UConn last year? They lost that game at Seton Hall due to terrible backcourt D. And still almost won the game despite the bad D
Not complicated. This team will be fluid and should have no problem being "multiple" with starting/ line-ups. Go small vs alot of the mid majors and those who play it smaller like Nova has. Then bigger vs. teams like Xavier who will be starting Nunge at 7-0 and Freemantle at 6-9.

Last edited:
I agree. The starting lineup Rothstein mentions is not set. It should be fluid. I see Alleyne and Diarra as key players against small ball teams.

Wasserman is right about Jordan tightening up his handle. Does anyone remember the end of regulation in the game against Auburn when all alone on a fast break and with absolutely no pressure on him, he coughed up the ball for a TO which eventually led Auburn to tie the game and send it to OT? I was shocked by that TO and apparently so was Hawkins as his body language was really, really bad after that. He needs to tighten up the handle and get mentally tougher because he can't have his head up his posterior after TOs. You have to forget bonehead mistakes and move on.

On the other hand, the quick release and elevation are there so if his handle tightens he can be the secondary scorer although I think Newton will probably be good for 15 ppg

Former St. John's/ NBA player and ABC/ESPN's MJ in Storrs:

Last edited:
Also last week a National Champ Husky & 2nd overall pick in the 2004 NBA draft ..

Fb63ZDkWYAE-qzu

ADVERTISEMENT