ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruits

I am all for having at least 2 good guys at every position, ideally one stud and one really good developmental player, and UConn appears to already have that at PG the next 2 years. So if this guy, who is the top JUCO and is a 2 year player, comes into the program in 2021, he will have 2 guys who have had 2 years in the program at his position. I presume Cole will be the starter, but Gaffney is very good, and might even emerge as the best 3 point shooter among the guard group, from what I saw of his stroke last year. So Gaff could also be used as a combo guard especially if that 3 ball stroke develops like I think it will. It is pure.

Conceivably, if Bouknight leaves after this year, Hurley could start 2 point guards in Cole and Ellis, as Calhoun did with El Amin and Moore in 1998 and 1999. That could be Hurley's plan. That would be the only thing that makes sense.

Will Josh and Isaiah retain a year of eligibility if the season is cancelled or will they basically be deemed to have completed their varsity careers?

FWIW, 247 just gave Uconn a CB for : Rahsool Diggins Predictions

Rahsool Diggins.. CG..6-2/180.....(4 star /ranked #41 ) per - Rivals.com

Rahsool-Diggins.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that some Uconn beat writers are now weighing in and even writing stories before an official announcement today by Diggins (sometime between 6-7pm)

Offer list includes: UConn, Florida, Kansas, Villanova, Virginia Tech, DePaul, Rutgers, Miami, Penn State, Wake Forest, Xavier

EduHUAMXYAEmsh5

Last edited:
Can't read the article because it's for "insiders" only, although I don't know who they think he compares to. I watched his tape and he looks like a good fundamentally sound point guard, and he has a nice first step and crossover, but he is very small and slight of build. I am encouraged by the fact that lots of really good schools are after him, including as well Villanova and Kansas. If recruited, he would give UConn 3 guys who can play point guard next year, along with Cole and Gaffney, although I suspect Gaffney will be used at shooting guard some next year (2021). Of course having 3 point guard depth means the team can do some pressing and not worry so much about being pressed.

Last edited:
Alternate link to the article: https://outline.com/kw8q2W

I hear ya, pretty much a repeat of what you said above when Ellis was in the mix.....
(Borges mentions the same in his article)

I am all for having at least 2 good guys at every position, ideally one stud and one really good developmental player, and UConn appears to already have that at PG the next 2 years. So if this guy, who is the top JUCO and is a 2 year player, comes into the program in 2021, he will have 2 guys who have had 2 years in the program at his position. I presume Cole will be the starter, but Gaffney is very good, and might even emerge as the best 3 point shooter among the guard group, from what I saw of his stroke last year. So Gaff could also be used as a combo guard especially if that 3 ball stroke develops like I think it will. It is pure.

Conceivably, if Bouknight leaves after this year, Hurley could start 2 point guards in Cole and Ellis, as Calhoun did with El Amin and Moore in 1998 and 1999. That could be Hurley's plan. That would be the only thing that makes sense.

This kid Diggins is smaller than Ellis and he is also smaller than AJ Price. In terms of body more along the lines of Shabazz or Boatright. Those 2 had extreme toughness that overcame their size issues, so hopefully this kid has some toughness In him and can do the same.

This kid Diggins is smaller than Ellis and he is also smaller than AJ Price. In terms of body more along the lines of Shabazz or Boatright. Those 2 had extreme toughness that overcame their size issues, so hopefully this kid has some toughness In him and can do the same.
Well Rivals say he's now......Rahsool Diggins...CG..6-2/180lbs...also he can dunk in his highlight videos. (never saw AJ dunk) He seems bigger than Bazz and Boat.......+ AJ was in the 6-2/180-190 range by the time he left Uconn even though Rivals had AJ alot smaller as a recruit (6-0/175),
A. J. Price, 2004 Point guard - Rivals.com
.............so I thought Borges AJ comparison is about right. But definitely not a super athletic PG like Hunter I listed above.( or Gaffney for that matter) ^^^^

Last edited:
Next up from Zags Blog... in his Diggins article, now that Uconn has added the 4th guard to the 2021-22 roster. It's time to go big....
" UConn is also honing in on Patrick School forward Samson Johnson
and recently had a Zoom call with him. Johnson was a teammate of power forward Adama Sanogo, who will be a freshman this season for the Huskies."

Last edited:
The Rivals top 50 player Uconn is involved with ( same HS as Josh Carlton)... has changed his plans. "he was going to announce a top 11 today "...instead he plans to announce a commitment date “soon.”...PS. he just (Aug 1st) added 4 prediction for Uconn from Rivals and 247 writers...kid has a sweet stroke !

Jordan Hawkins, - Rivals.com .... 6-5/180...SG... DeMatha Catholic, Hyattsville, MD
Some schools involved.: UConn, Maryland, Seton Hall, Marquette, Georgia, Louisville, Texas, LSU, Xavier, Wake Forest and Notre Dame

Last edited:
Will Josh and Isaiah retain a year of eligibility if the season is cancelled or will they basically be deemed to have completed their varsity careers?
I think you have an answer to that question right here in this Uconn FB announcement below. The FB team only has 8 SR's out of 85 schollie players on a team and none of them have redshirted (One starting LB who transferred from Notre Dame is a grad student)....So now all of them get to come back in 2021, so I'd assume that would be the case with Josh and Isaiah too, especially since they haven't used a RS.

"The necessary measures needed to mitigate risk of football student-athletes contracting the coronavirus are not conducive to delivering an optimal experience for our team," Benedict said. "Ultimately, the student-athletes would rather preserve their year of eligibility with an eye to competing under more typical circumstances during the 2021 season."

Just caught this on Corey's recruiting update:

"UConn, but that is not the most confident prediction because things still have to play out some more before a real leader emerges. The Huskies have a major need in the frontcourt for a rim-running, shot-blocking force, and that need would immediately be squelched if Johnson were to pick the Big East program."

"Johnson's decision will not come easy, though. His stock has soared in recent months, and some of the very best throughout the Northeast see him as a heavy priority. Whether it is Providence, St. John’s, Syracuse, Miami or Pitt, the competition for him remains fierce. I am going to stick with the Huskies, which would give UConn one of the best back-line defending teams in America, thanks to the young frontcourt that would be in place if Johnson enrolls in Storrs a year from now."

Full read link:

The Rivals top 50 player Uconn is involved with ...instead he plans to announce a commitment date “soon.”...
Jordan Hawkins, - Rivals.com .... 6-5/180...SG... DeMatha Catholic, Hyattsville, MD
Some schools involved.: UConn, Maryland, Seton Hall, Marquette, Georgia, Louisville, Texas, LSU, Xavier, Wake Forest and Notre Dame
Countdown to his 10am announcement this morning (Aug 7th):

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT