ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruits

So.....AJ who just visited Uconn last week-end is cancelling his Iowa trip and now Niels has cancelled his Uconn trip. Hmmm....Since Uconn only has one spot open for a big guard could a AJ commitment be coming soon ?

Last edited:
So.....AJ who just visited Uconn last week-end is cancelling his Iowa trip and now Niels has cancelled his Uconn trip. Hmmm....Since Uconn only has one spot open for a big guard could a AJ commitment be coming soon ?

From the Courant article today:
"Hurley has two scholarships sure to open after this season, with Christian Vital graduating and the program regaining the one it gave up in self-imposed sanctions. UConn’s autumn recruiting goals are a big guard, in the 6-foot-5 range, and a center/power forward type.

At the moment, eyes are on Andre Jackson, a 6-6 guard from Albany Academy who visited UConn Sept. 20-22. At the time of his visit, Jackson, who averaged better than 17 points, 10 rebounds and five assists as a high school junior, was considered by analysts as all but certain to go to Syracuse. Since his visit to Storrs, he canceled his scheduled trip to Iowa and is drilling down on a decision that appears to be between Syracuse and UConn. UCLA and Maryland, as well as Iowa, have also been in contention. Meanwhile, Niels Lane, a 6-5 guard from New Jersey, called off his visit to UConn this past weekend, fueling speculation, and only speculation, that the Huskies were closing in on Jackson. "

Javonte Brown-Ferguson ......6-11/ 240...C.... Pickering, ONT (possible 2020.....reclass)
Brown-Ferguson is currently in the Class of 2021, but the 17-year-old is leaning heavily toward reclassifying to 2020.

" Next up Brown-Ferguson will take an official to UConn Oct. 24. With UConn poised to re-enter the Big East Conference in 2020, Dan Hurley and his staff are keen to land a big man, a piece they believe can make them a Top-15 or 20-type team. They are also in the mix for Roselle (N.J.) Catholic big man Cliff Omoruyi and Dylan Cardwell of McEachern (GA), who visits Oct. 17-19. “They need a big for 2020,” Brown-Ferguson said of UConn. “They have good point guards and they just signed a big-time wing and now they need an impactful big so they can possibly go top 15.”

Last edited:
Sounds like we’ve lost momentum with Cam Thomas. LSU is now the fav.

Sounds like we’ve lost momentum with Cam Thomas. LSU is now the fav.
True, but it sounds like it could be mutual for the time being according to the Borges recruiting article ( Oct. 6th ) above: " Now that UConn has locked up Andre Jackson — the exact type of big (6-foot-6), athletic guard Dan Hurley coveted — the Huskies’ are now focusing their aim on a big target. UConn is looking for a big man to fill what is currently its final scholarship slot for next season."

It's also the reason Niels Lane cancelled his Uconn visit and just committed to Florida. Though Borges(???) says Thomas is still scheduled to visit Oct. 11th..... I guess it comes down to if Cam wants to wait until the spring, to see what AG does( leaves) and if he thinks Uconn's roster isn't to loaded for PT.

But as I bitched about last season, if your gonna play small ball you need a bigger guard at the 3( to play the P-5/P-7 teams).... just as this DH quote in the article confirms and screams Andre Jackson:
“I play three guards, and I want them to all have interchangeable skills: be able to play in ball screens, on and off the ball, create and playmake, but also be able to score. So, when my system’s at its best, I have three guys that have the ability to do a multitude of things. In order for that to work, to play the elite teams, you’ve got to have high-level size. So, getting a guard that would have the ability to match up with a three, or the third perimeter guy for a high-level opponent, it usually has to be a 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 guy. So, that big guard’s critical. We play an athletic style, so I put a lot of value in athleticism.”

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Here's what the 2020 -21 roster looks like so far with the 2 new guys added for Vital and Rique, not that they're guaranteed starting slots.
2020-21-starters-11-A.jpg

Last edited:
If Akok Akok is a backup in 2020-21 it would be somewhat disappointing, but it would mean the team is really really good.

If Akok Akok is a backup in 2020-21 it would be somewhat disappointing, but it would mean the team is really really good.
None of these spots I listed are set in stone, it could be set up a bunch of different ways..... but it does scream that this should be a very deep and experienced team for the return to the BE 2.0 ( and even more so if AG stays)

Last edited:
True, but it sounds like it could be mutual for the time being according to the Borges recruiting article ( Oct. 6th ) above: " Now that UConn has locked up Andre Jackson — the exact type of big (6-foot-6), athletic guard Dan Hurley coveted — the Huskies’ are now focusing their aim on a big target. UConn is looking for a big man to fill what is currently its final scholarship slot for next season."

It's also the reason Niels Lane cancelled his Uconn visit and just committed to Florida. Though Borges(???) says Thomas is still scheduled to visit Oct. 11th..... I guess it comes down to if Cam wants to wait until the spring, to see what AG does( leaves) and if he thinks Uconn's roster isn't to loaded for PT.
I kinda doubted he would visit considering Uconn's next priority being a big & the log jam with Uconn's 2020 roster as it stands (will be at 13 schollies unless AG is sure he's leaving ) :

Last edited:
Zags also confirms the Uconn/AJ factor regarding Cam and I guess he's down to these two if he doesn't want to wait until the spring:

Clifford Omoruyi ......C....... 6-10/230 ....4 star...Roselle, NJ
And now Uconn either has to wait for Cliff until the spring ( does DH want another Kofi situation ?) or they have to make a quick push on one of the 2 other bigs in this thread..... Brown-Ferguson is supposed to visit UConn Oct. 24. ( he was just at Kansas) .... Dylan Cardwell is supposed to be at First night next week-end but I guess Rick Barnes has him @ TENN this week-end..... hopefully DH gets them both on campus for push.....

Last edited:
And now Uconn either has to wait for Cliff until the spring ( does DH want another Kofi situation ?) or they have to make a quick push on one of the 2 other bigs in this thread..... Brown-Ferguson is supposed to visit UConn Oct. 24. ( he was just at Kansas) .... Dylan Cardwell is supposed to be at First night next week-end but I guess Rick Barnes has him @ TENN this week-end..... hopefully DH gets them both on campus for push.....

As Patrick has mentioned in the 2nd 2020 that was started after this one.......it looks like Dan has both these guys coming in this week-end for First Night together .... unless Caldwell is doing something different than planned after his Tenn visit. Kind of interesting since he only has room for one of them. Will DH have them play one on one / winner takes all ?. ;) .... I'm sure we'll here more from the local beat writers soon :confused:.

Last edited:
As Patrick has mentioned in the 2nd 2020 that was started after this one.......it looks like Dan has both these guys coming in this week-end for First Night together .... unless Caldwell is doing something different than planned after his Tenn visit ? Kind of interesting since (Uconn) only has room for one of them. Will DH have them play one on one / winner takes all ?. ;) .... I'm sure we'll here more from the local beat writers soon :confused:.
Well this is the answer to that question ..... Caldwell no longer in the mix....so I guess it's down... Brown-Ferguson or see what Cliff does in the spring

Last edited:
Uconn has added a new offer to a big. Former URI (profile) mid-year enrolee but left before playing for them. He's now a JUCO (Will have 3 years left for his D-1 team). Was more of a mid-major recruit, but now has interest/offers from Florida, UK, Kansas, Oregon..... played HS in Springfield, MA ( "Had strong enough ball skills to play point guard for Springfield Commonwealth" ) . Mading leaves URI, enters NCAA Transfer Portal

Marial Mading......F.......6-11/195...Hagerstown, MD ( Chipola College)

Last edited:
Javonte Brown-Ferguson, could reclassify to 2020. In addition, he’s moved his UConn official visit to this weekend.... . ;) .... I'm sure we'll here more from the local beat writers soon :confused:.

Javonte Brown-Ferguson.....6-11/ 240...C.... Pickering, ONT (possible reclass)

Andre Jackson..............6-6/190.......Wing.....Albany, NY

Donovan Clingan........7-0/220...........C.........Bristol, CT (2022)

From Borges: "And that’s the nature of recruiting. Players change their minds frequently, and there are only so many available scholarship slots and positions on a team. UConn was strongly recruiting Niels Lane, a 6-5 guard and Omoruyi’s teammate at Roselle Catholic, until it became apparent Jackson was going to commit to the Huskies and Lane cancelled a scheduled visit and later committed to Florida. Similarly, once Jackson committed to UConn, the staff’s focus shifted away from big guards they had been recruiting like Cam Thomas and Kadary Richmond."

Last edited:
Mohammed Diarra......6-10...F......(Redemption Christian Academy, Troy, NY)

Another big with an outside game. Doesn't seem to be in any data base yet, his twitter is all in french..( Parlez-vous francais ?...Est-il Québécois ou Parisien? )

Last edited:
Javonte Brown-Ferguson.....6-11/ 240...C.... ( Thornlea S.S.) Pickering, ONT (possible 2020.....reclass)
Was also pursued by Maryland, Marquette, Arizona, and UCLA, but is now shutting it down after the Uconn visit this past week -end.......Has Kansas, Texas A&M and Uconn in his final 3.....“I’m going to announce soon,” he said. “I have to figure out a date.” As for the UConn visit, he said it went very well........"

on Rivals Ranking:

Last edited:
Javonte Brown-Ferguson ......6-11/ 240...C.... Pickering, ONT (possible 2020.....reclass)
Guess it's a tight race between Uconn and TX A&M:
" He is very good friends with Texas A&M freshmen Cashius McNeilly and Emanuel Miller, thanks to their Canadian basketball upbringing, but UConn’s proximity to his home might separate the Huskies. Each program has a major need in the frontcourt and, at one point in time, the Aggies had the large lead. That seems to have dissipated, with momentum on the side of UConn. Expect a college commitment from Brown-Ferguson within the next week and for the Canadian to reclassify into the 2020 class, which would put him on a college campus next fall. "

Corey Evans-Wednesday's Leftovers....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT