ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting: Connecticut's "Big 3"

Akok holds down the top spot not just because of his unique talent but also because of just how well he fits the way the modern game is played. With conventional back-to-the-basket type bigs becoming more scarce, coaches at the college level and above are all searching for the rare big man who can both protect the rim defensively and stretch the floor offensively. Akok is the poster boy for such a description and his length, quick second bounce, and high release are only icing on the cake.

Delaire is the most versatile of the trio. While his size and physical profile slots him in the frontcourt, his improved ball-handling was very evident this season, despite the fact that he missed the first half of the year with injury. He often brought the ball up the floor and initiated their offense but still has so much upside left to discover as he learns to create his own shot and further develop his individual tools and scoring potential at all three levels.

Mitchell saw his stock increase perhaps more than any 2019 prospect in New England this year. A true junior, Mitchell dramatically improved his conditioning while also showing off his advanced skill set in his first year in the prep ranks. He not only has inside-out tools and the ability to stretch the floor to the arc, but he's also a high level passing big man, which is another prototype that is in high demand these days.

So is Hurley going to focus his recruiting efforts locally? What does he look for in his recruiting?
Not sure what he looks for in players, but he did mention in his press conference that he likes to recruit New England and the Mid-Atlantic and that his coaching staff would reflect that.

There is enough talent in New England and the Northeast that UConn can compete in the AAC and nationally

So is Hurley going to focus his recruiting efforts locally? What does he look for in his recruiting?
I heard his presser comments... but he's not in the A-10 anymore, ( obviously the NE Preps, Tri state etc. are top shelf ) but there is no reason to limit himself, especially with the geography of this conference.

I did not know what to make of his presser comments which is why I asked. But I am more interested knowing the types of guys he likes. Ollie brought in a lot of guys who were talented but very low basketball IQ guys (Purvis, D-Ham, Larrier, Brimah, Enoch) and Hurley strikes me more as a coach who wants guys who can think the game.

not to argue your point KSTW, but i thought DHams IQ was solid. Lack of shooters touch yes...but i might be off on this.

The problem with Ollie bringing in low iQ players, is they never were going to be mentored.

And I agree that Dan Hamilton knew a lot about the game coming in, he just never improved on his shot selection and defensive mentality. Because the students ran the class.

Basketball IQ means having the intelligence to take good shots. Hamilton was not a good shooter because he had a disturbing habit of fading away from contact and taking off balance fadeaways that were not necessary, instead of working to get open. Smart players move without the ball and get open rather than taking contested shots and fadeaway jumpers. D-Ham was a career 38% FG shooter despite having a very good stroke, what more needs be said?

I also recall a 9 game stretch of AAC games in which he shot less than 20% and it was an embarrassment because you could see he was not taking good shots and not playing smart. This guy was not Craig Austrie who had a similar shooting slump in 2009 because he had to start when Dyson went down and Austrie was not starting calibre or Big East talent. Hamilton had the talent.............he was a good all around player, but the inability to improve his shooting while at UConn was disturbing.

Last edited:
The problem with Ollie bringing in low iQ players, is they never were going to be mentored.
Because the students ran the class.

+1000, Me & you where on to this way back in the start of the 2016 season when he brought in his "Top 5" ( Meet UConn Men's Freshman ) + Larrier who never played a minute of Uconn BB. I have no clue what KO did in practice but he would sit on his hands right from the start of games allowing low IQ plays from guys like TL, AG and his holdover Purvis, until they where down double digits. Never coaching, never teaching, never pulling guys to correct them, almost looking bewildered as to why it was happening ......I knew back then this wasn't gonna end well, because these were KO's guys and the only way he seemed to know how to correct things, is to get rid of coaches and players. (probably the wrong ones)

Also... D-Ham actually had good BB IQ., lead the team in assists by almost double, saw the court well, but he's another guy KO didn't reel in from his out of control end to ends and jacking up bad shots. ( plus he only played D when he wanted to) It's like KO never figured out it's not the NBA with pro's who'd be out of a job playing low IQ ball. So now he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Basketball IQ means having the intelligence to take good shots. Hamilton was not a good shooter because he had a disturbing habit of fading away from contact and taking off balance fadeaways that were not necessary, instead of working to get open. Smart players move without the ball and get open rather than taking contested shots and fadeaway jumpers. D-Ham was a career 38% FG shooter despite having a very good stroke, what more needs be said?

I also recall a 9 game stretch of AAC games in which he shot less than 20% and it was an embarrassment because you could see he was not taking good shots and not playing smart. This guy was not Craig Austrie who had a similar shooting slump in 2009 because he had to start when Dyson went down and Austrie was not starting calibre or Big East talent. Hamilton had the talent.............he was a good all around player, but the inability to improve his shooting while at UConn was disturbing.
fair enough. i guess i just didn’t see him in the same light i saw Purvis. But all good points.

Khalid, as Blades pointed out above, there were never any consequences to bad shots/decisions/lack of effort in games. JC was the other way with no patience for mistakes. His hook may have been too quick, but the kids got the point and his track record speaks for itself. All Ollie did was whine to who ever was sitting next to him.

Was practice Any different? I don't know either, wasnt there. But the same players, made the same mistakes, time and time again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT