ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Players- staff

'Smart, hard working people'.

Is this the Bizarro Ollie world? Thank you Jesus!

" While Hurley said I’d love to have every player back, it only makes sense that there are some priorities: Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, Sidney Wilson, among them. Adams insisted he hasn’t decided what he wants to do, though he sounds as if he’s strongly considering a return for his senior season. "

".....it was thought (Josh) Carlton had one foot out the door. But it appears Hurley would like to bring him back, and is taking steps to do so. Carlton’s father, James, played two seasons at Holy Cross in the early 1980s .......... His head coach at Holy Cross was George Blaney, who would go on to coach at Seton Hall and become somewhat of a mentor to Hurley. Blaney, who later served as Jim Calhoun’s top lieutenant at UConn, has contacted James Carlton, extolling the virtues of Hurley."

" Emmitt Matthews, Jr., a sharpshooter from Tacoma, Wash....... told Hearst Connecticut Media last month, “I love UConn no matter who the head coach is.” Also, his father is from New Jersey (he played football at Rutgers) and is said to be fond of Hurley and his family. "

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessary to invest any time in recruiting Larrier back. Let him go. There are two returning guys at his position, who both should be better. I would like to see a very capable big man with size brought in, as UConn did not get much out of Cobb or Carlton, although Carlton improved a little bit as the year went on and is a decent O-rebounder. UConn does not have a main man guy inside and that is what is needed. Rim protection/shot blocking/rebounding and maybe 8-10 ppg.

It seems like he has good ties to the NYC recruiting bed and is certainly closer to home. Hopefully he can keep the recruits away from the P5 and BE suitors. Let’s just call it P-6 basketball because we know P-6 football is Aresco’s version of the AAC

That seems to be a big factor with the hire. Alot of AAU/ youth BB stuff on his resume before his CBB time. Also a few things he doesn't want to be on it:

This was something I never understood with Ollie's hiring of Chillious. Although Chillious seemed like an accomplished recruiter, his ties were all on the west coast. While I realize that KO is from LA and both Hamilton and Vance Jackson and Akinjo were good west coast recruits, since when does a northeastern team rely primarily on west coast recruits? It made no sense to me. The guy that Danny Hurley hired makes some sense. I am sure that the UConn brand will result in the odd California recruit being pried away from UCLA like Hamilton was, but it can't be your primary or master strategy because kids are mostly going to stay reasonably close to home (as Hurley chose to do by picking UConn over Pitt!!!)

Also would like to see a return of tough minded NYC guards like Kemba, Taliek Brown and Ben Gordon.

Hurley has NJ covered I think and UConn should have a nice blanket over recruiting the northeast. Let's start pulling in some of the guys Villanova has been getting.

Last edited:
Of those guys I gotta think Golden should be the highest priority. UConn is very weak and shallow with bigs. Carlton returns and is really the only guy they have who is a true post. I don’t even know if Cobb will be back. He barely played last year and was a non contributor. Also not much size, other than Carlton nobody over 6’8”. I would like to see Harris in the fold if Jalen leaves, but one doesn’t know if Gilbert will ever be able to play and some size is needed at guard as well! Need guys who can board, and shoot!!!!!

Here's one of Hurley's commits at URI ( Rivals shows a decent offer list and says recruited to MINN by our new asst coach):

Last edited:
“UConn is looking at some combination of grad transfers, undergrad transfers who would have to sit a year and frue freshmen, perhaps keeping one scholarship open for a late opportunity.”

That’s some hard-hitting reporting there, as it pretty much covers every option there is for incoming players. Also, UConn only has three open scholarships at the moment, so they’re pretty limited regarding what they can do with the roster. Does anyone know when we would start to hear about transfers, if there are any? It would be nice to know what the foundation of the team is before looking to fill the gaps. UConn already has all the slots for “position-less”, skinny bigs filled, so no use wasting time looking for any more of those.

Leaves Nebraska, formerly with NC ST., Xavier, Georgetown and his alma mater Duquesne:
" Hunter's familiarity with UConn stems from his six years (2007-2013) on the staff of John Thompson III at Georgetown, where he helped the Hoyas earn two Big East titles, five 20-win seasons, and five NCAA Tournament berths. While at Georgetown, Hunter was significant in the development of future NBA stars Roy Hibbert and Greg Monroe, as well as Otto Porter, the Big East Player of the Year in 2012-13 and the No. 3 pick in the NBA Draft. His recruiting efforts helped the Hoyas land three classes that were rated among the top 25 in the country."

Last edited:
A buddy of mine said SNY mentioned Jalen was coming back per the season wrap up show. But I haven't seen anything to confirm it?

At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture

"Hunter, from Arlington Va., played at Duquesne, a captain for three seasons, and began his coaching career there in 1998. He had subsequent stops at NC State, Xavier, Georgetown and, finally, Nebraska. Along the way, he gained a unique perspective of what UConn basketball was — he was on the Hoyas bench for an electric overtime game at Gampel Pavilion in 2013 "

Interesting hire: Alosi comes to UConn with extensive experience at both the collegiate and professional levels, most recently serving for six years as the strength and conditioning coordinator for the UCLA football team......Alosi spent nine years involved in the NFL, where he was head strength and conditioning coach for the New York Jets (2007-2010) and the Atlanta Falcons (2006), after serving as assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Jets (2002-05).......his college playing career as a four-year letter-winner as a linebacker for the Hofstra football team.

Guess he's already getting good pub on at least one of his past indiscretions:
UConn Hires Performance Coach Known For Tripping NFL Player, Altercation With Diddy

Last edited:
Here is video of the Sal Alosi incident in which he tripped Miami Dolphins player Nolan Carroll, resulting in his suspension and a $100,000 fine the Jets were forced to pay:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81cd974e/Dolphin-gets-tripped-on-Jets-sideline

Somewhat reminiscent, although not as blatant, as the Morgan State coach who tackled the UConn kick returner streaking for a TD along the sideline in a 1984 game. The MS coach was fired and UConn was awarded a TD.

The Alosi-Diddy brawl apparently resulted from strength and conditioning techniques that were used on Diddy's son who played football at UCLA. Diddy did not approve of the methods and a fight broke out. Because of the helicopter parent plague that currently afflicts many lower level sports coaches, I am going to give Alosi a pass on that one. The Jets incident with Nolan Carroll should not have happened. It was a bit over the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
" It should be noted that the staff wouldn’t have had a big problem if a couple of players wanted to look for greener pastures elsewhere. The overall talent level is hardly up to typical UConn standards. But there was no real effort by the staff to persuade anyone to leave. Likewise, there were no real rumblings from any players about possibly leaving, other than Christian Vital’s somewhat odd dip into the NBA draft waters. "

Borges- UConn men’s basketball team’s roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season

DfvN3mGWAAA1Zu8.jpg:large

ADVERTISEMENT