ADVERTISEMENT

#2 UConn Knocks Out #1 ND

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
28 points for freshman Chrystyn Williams. ND couldn't shoot from outside or defend today. Much better PG play by Crystal Dangerfield today than her male counterpart A. Gilbert- purposeful penetration, organized the team, generally played smart. 15 boards by Collier and nice contributions on D by Nelson Ododa.

Unfortunately, beating the #1 ranked team on their Court by 18 means UConn now wears the mantle of favorite again.

Very impressive performance, especially with Naphesa sitting that long stretch with foul trouble.

Last edited:
Collier collected 15 boards despite sitting for almost a whole quarter and playing with 4 fouls.

ND appeared to me to get flustered and that is the main reason why they got blown out. They were not expecting to be down by 8 and looked like frontrunners to me. They played exceptional offense in the final 4 last year but the fact is it hid some defensive deficiencies they have which got exposed today. The bad D and the deficit they were not expecting totally flustered them mentally.

Game analysis from the other side- the Notre Dame Insider:

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketbal...cle_06dbef50-b279-5e34-8929-f891ff777e8d.html

Arike Ogunbowale has claimed that Geno "baited" her into the technical foul that she received.......however she got the T and Geno did not. I presume the referees who called the T could hear all of what was exchanged. To me the bottom line is ND completely lost their poise at the end of the game, due to frustration and being flustered by their terrible defense most of the game, inconsistent halfcourt execution, and weak 3 point shooting (1-12).

What a STATEMENT game. So proud of them. Williams looks like an all world talent.

If you guys are wondering when the loss might come on UConn’s schedule, mark down the game at Baylor January 3. This team is HUGE. I watched them obliterate South Carolina at SC last night. Brown at 6’7” and Cox at 6’4” are mountainous women- not just tall but huge, wide bodied women. They waxed SC on the boards. UConn has not a single girl who can matchup- Nelson Ododa is giving away 50 pounds plus to these two Amazons.

Baylor looks to me like a scarier team than ND. Baylor guards are solid (not as good as UConn) but it’s the frontline of Baylor that has me concerned. Teams like that can’t easily be beat because of the board domination even if their shooting is off. UConn may need to play zone to protect Collier/Nelson Ododa from foul trouble. Plus this game is on the road. It’s a yikes type game. For real.

South Carolina is struggling at the moment but they have the best recruiting class in the nation for next year. They have also played a tough schedule. However both Maryland and Baylor hammered them.

That is kind of funny. I do think competition breeds this kind of thing and Geno genuinely likes stoking the pettiness. Back when Duke was really good mid 2000s and replaced Tennessee as the dominant second power in women’s hoops, Geno made a famous comment to media that “there are just as many Duke graduates as UConn graduates waiting tables” (in fact there are probably more). Shortly after he made that comment I met Geno at a dinner event at Fantasia in North Haven. I told him my cousin was in grad school at Duke and I wanted to get a picture with Geno so I could send it to him. Geno was enormously amused by my request and granted it. I did speak to Geno for about 5 minutes before making that request, solely about hoops and the women’s team at the time.

I don’t think Geno is at all mean about it. He is actually very funny and I suspect if we all heard what he said that so upset Ogwunobale into getting a Technical Foul, we would be laughing our asses off.

There's nothing funny about what little toad was allowed to do in that game with no backlash from ESPN or even a replay when it happened. The way the play by play guy saw it right in front of his eyes and said nothing and the way the production crew did everything they could to gloss it over was professional malpractice.

Courant- UConn-Notre Dame drama continues: Breanna Stewart blocked

Last edited:
I didn’t say it was funny, I said it was a leg-whip. I actually had not even seen that play until you posted it because during the game I was repeatedly being distracted by issues that were arising in my oven, namely a stuffed chicken whose cooking time was underestimated by me, and resultantly having to make adjustments to the dinner schedule on the fly. It’s hard to cook dinner and watch UConn hoops but I multitask as best as I can.

Last edited:
I love this. ND wins the title, lightening in a bottle. Instead of being a good winner we get her true self after a midseason loss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT