ADVERTISEMENT

$10 Mil Gampel tile repair.......this year

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Well the butt ugly Gampel ceiling tiles will get a stay of execution....and this is good to know: UConn says that the flaking in the Gampel dome roof has been determined to be only cosmetic. There are no structural concerns or threats, and asbestos tests have come back negative. :eek::eek::eek:o_O

UConn Board Votes To Delay Gampel Repairs, Close Torrington Campus
UConn's board of trustees voted Wednesday to defer $10 million in repairs to the roof of Gampel Pavilion and, as expected, to close its Torrington branch.

750x422

Last edited:
FINALLY ....With graduation done they're going all out now on the ceiling repair...it's about time !!!....I guess those Patoni tiles or whatever they're called were something that was a tough find to replace....... but they were getting real ratty looking the last 4-5 years...

Last edited:
Blades one of your earlier posts implied that it was hard to find replacement tiles of the type used. I am not sure why they didn't order as a part of the original construction replacement tiles. It's foreseeable that the tiles would eventually need to be replaced. This reminds me that my original kitchen floor was ceramic tile and the contractor left me a couple of cases of extra tiles in case any of them cracked due to the settling of the concrete slab underneath as it was all new construction. Well the concrete did settle for a few years and many tiles cracked and were replaced. Over 10 years later I would put in a new kitchen floor with porcelain tiles and the contractor who did that work told me the original contractor who installed the ceramic tiles screwed up because he said you are supposed to install a geosynthetic liner between the slab and the tile which effectively absorbs the shock of settling. This had to be done after the old floor was stripped up.

I am not an engineer but wonder whether some of the same issues might be at play here. It's been around 27 years but these tiles should be able to "weather" the indoors better than this I would think?

I hear ya KSTW, I read somewhere that the company who makes the tiles or contractor who does this is no longer around. Also there are only about 3 buildings in America like this.... bottom line..... seems to be bad planning if your creating a venue with this "out of the box" design.

And in the mean time, down in Hartford this is what the XL Center floor looks like. No roof in Storrs, no floor in HFD... The way some of these CT construction projects end up way behind schedule lately, lets hope Uconn has a venue to play in this year....

Hartford Whalers‏@WhalerWatch Jul 3
A current look at the ice surface at the XL Center. Renovations will result in NHL-quality ice. Rest of building mostly dates back to 1980.
DD2ndE7WAAIxk1G.jpg:large

Last edited:
And in the mean time, down in Hartford this is what the XL Center floor looks like. No roof in Storrs, no floor in HFD... The way some of these CT construction projects end up way behind schedule lately, lets hope Uconn has a venue to play in this year....

Hartford Whalers‏@WhalerWatch Jul 3
A current look at the ice surface at the XL Center. Renovations will result in NHL-quality ice. Rest of building mostly dates back to 1980.
DD2ndE7WAAIxk1G.jpg:large

Well looks like the XL Center floor is back in place:

sportsblog.com: XL Center gets NHL ready ice surface

3f658839-ff30-4421-b312-ac04f74a2056.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT