ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome To UConn Sterling Gibbs!

The final piece to another final four run? Great news. It's going to come down to chemistry and defensive intensity.

I like that UConn aggressively attacked and targeted the obvious weakness areas in their recruiting. UConn needed more production at the 4 as Facey and Nolan failed to seize the position. They went out and got the best 4 on the transfer market. UConn badly needed a go to proven clutch 3 point shooter and they got the best guy out there for that. It now appears that the Samuel transfer was due to hearing footsteps. Although I liked some of what he brought to the team he was a complete zero as a 3 point shooter and on this level you can't be a zero especially when the team is lacking in that area.

Job well done by the coaches.

yeap, took care of two major needs and the third can only happen internally. That third need being 100% buy in...... buy in to Ollie defense and team mentality. Last year we had one guy that busted it everyday and that was Boat. Hamilton was great but not all year.

Guess the NC St. trip is off, LOL !....So is adding 2 seasoned 16+ point a game D-1 scorers in Shonn Miller and Gibbs like picking up a couple of 5 star one and done's ?
Chemistry, leadership and followership will be key, will Adams play a similar, but more expanded role than Bazz did as a FR with Kemba ? Interesting possibilities,
but have to give KO an A+ as a GM working CBB's new free agent market in addition to his 2 top 50 freshman.

Last edited:
Bleacher report: Sterling Gibbs to Connecticut: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

NJ Story with why Uconn and Ollie angle : For Sterling Gibbs, 'a new beginning' at UConn

Also from CBS's
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 5h 5 hours ago
* Sterling Gibbs gives UConn serious perimeter firepower next year, but Huskies will have to sacrifice to win. Lots of guys will want shots.
* Early prediction on UConn's starting lineup --- Sterling Gibbs, Jalen Adams, Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, Amida Brimah.
* Another wildcard for UConn? Sam Cassell Jr. Was injured most of last year. JUCOs are always better in second year of CBB too.
* Another big winner aside from UConn following Sterling Gibbs' commitment? The AAC. League could have 3 Top 25 teams --- UConn, SMU, Cincy.
* The AAC has gotten one less team into the NCAA Tournament than it's deserved in the last two seasons. Primed to have big year in 15-16.

Last edited:
Blades,

Not sure if you read the comments to the BR article but Bobby Petrino posted a comment in that thread defending Ollie's credentials and calling Calipari a "POS."

Blades,

Not sure if you read the comments to the BR article but Bobby Petrino posted a comment in that thread defending Ollie's credentials and calling Calipari a "POS."
I skipped the comments at first, but just took a look.....It's not really Bobby P. but it shows the Ville fan vs. UK hatred continues in full effect, LOL !

What I like is that the article says he spent a lot of time with Purvis, the player whose status is most threatened by the arrival of Gibbs. The other thing I like is that Gibbs says he is a point guard who can score, which is what Adams is as well, supposedly. So if we have two guys who can handle and score and coexist, it will be nice.

Every so often a kid who is a winning type player gets stuck in a losing program. Gibbs showed signs of being a winning player at SHU, hitting big shots in big games. He just did not have an experienced or talented enough supporting cast. Gibbs will now have the opportunity to play on a bigger stage and in games that mean something. Generally if a guy is a winner going to a winning program is usually a mutually beneficial thing.

Last edited:
IMO the chemistry lies in the hands of Purvis first and foremost. If he doesn't play more efficiently and knock down 66% of his FT's, he could end up being the odd man out. I'd bring Adams off the bench for some energy, but time will tell.

1-Gibbs, Adams
2-Purvis, Cassell
3-Hamilton, Calhoun/Facey
4-Miller, Facey, Enoch
5-Brimah, Nolan

I see a really strong 10 deep there and it allows Enoch some time to develop. It would be great to shirt him, but I doubt he'd go for that.

I agree that Gibbs and Purvis are the starters at guard to start the season based on experience. However this kid Adams apart from being very talented is a winner, and winners don't stay on the bench. Khalid El Amin started as a freshman from day 1 even though UConn had a starting point guard in Rickey Moore. The reason why is he was a winner who demanded excellence of his teammates and made them better. So Adams and Gibbs will be the starters after a few games because of ball handling and I also think Purvis has the best makeup of any player to be that spark plug 6th man off the bench.

I think it is a lock that DHam, Miller and Brimah start at 3, 4 and 5.

There is no way Enoch gets a red shirt. It would hurt his development as he is someone who has shown progress in a short time. He also might be the best backup option at both the 4 and the 5.

Here's a follow up from the Courant...interesting mention of the AAC, Gibbs considered the conference issue but looked at Uconn's overall schedule OOC .....
" The Huskies nonconference opponents include Maryland, which could be ranked No.1 in the preseason, Ohio State, Texas, Georgetown and a strong field that
includes Syracuse, Michigan and Gonzaga at the Battle4Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas."

This type of OOC scheduling is a must and then some for the health of recruiting, unless Uconn leaves the AAC.

Sterling Gibbs' Transfer To UConn More About Business, Less About Emotion

He wants to win. He has had enough of losing. His goal is to get back to the NCAA tournament and not for a quick cup of coffee.

I am all over that game. It is a Tuesday night, might take off the following day and get hotel in NYC. Too good to pass up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT