ADVERTISEMENT

Mamadou Diarra among Top Performers on Wednesday at UAA

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1781448

"The Connecticut bound Rivals150 power forward from the class of 2016 wasn't happy to hear he measured in at 6-foot-5 ½ bare footed during the combine. However he has a 7-foot-2 wingspan to help make up for being a slightly undersized four man. Diarra is also bouncy, has a great motor and rebounds in and out of his area. Diarra finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds on the night."

1701730.jpg

Use the Promo Code: UCONN and join today!

Yeah, I'm okay with Diarra's height because of his crazy length and motor. Good to see him getting recognized at the camp.

Mamadou the 2nd leading rebounder at the camp with 11 rpg. Thon Maker first with 19 rpg.

I hope so...:rolleyes:.....but this listed height vs. barefoot height is the most played out thing in hoops.......I could list a thousand examples of player after player from the draft
measurement history chart, but us Uconn fans should just say he's 6-7 and call it a day..... no matter what these media guys report...unless he really did grow....;)

Last edited:
I remember Jeff Adrien was a guy whose height was widely debated and at some point he may have been outed as being 6'5", but he sure played bigger than that and has had cups of coffee in the NBA. Mostly 10 day contracts. There is value in the undersized junkyard dog type players.

That's kinda my point it's not just Adrien( listed 6-7 actual 6-5 1/4), Boat ( they are the norm) or any of these guys that are shorter barefoot than their listed height in shoes and supposedly "outed".

99% of these guys listed height in sneakers would make them "outed".... just this year all three 6'-"6 Kentucky guys... the twins and Booker... are really only 6-4 1/2 .....and "Seven footer" Towns is really only 6-10 1/4".....Same with the Dukies.....lottery pick Justice Winslow.. he's been listed different places 6-6 or 6-7 but he's really only 6-4 1/2... or 6-2 Tyus Jones is only 6-0 1/4"....6-7 Stanley Johnson....no he's 6-5.....Texas lottery pick 7'-0" Myles Turner...nope 6-9 3/4"......Or take Uconn's listing of "6-9" DeAndre Daniels and "6-7" Neils Giffey over their careers.... why the 2 inch difference ? when DD was really 6'-7 1/4" and Neils was 6-6 "1/4 ( so shouldn't NG be listed 6-8 by those "normal" metrics)..... then do players height's get rounded up ? because I don't see anyone on any roster listed as fraction of inches...but the mystery goes on and on.....

I think the point is everyone plays bigger in sneakers because they are...Nobody plays barefoot, so when you get the real heights of any player they all seem an 1"-2" in shorter than what they are listed. That's why I find it laughable when some writer wants to make a point by saying so and so is only blah, blah, blah...But when someone adds 2 1/2" for a pair of Nike's that's probably a little to much...... ;) Anyway nobody stops playing basketball at the top of their head, LOL, so maybe standing reach should be the listing...but is that with shoes or without.....:)

Here's a look at the huge disparities over the years on this database you can change from year to year by draft.: NBA Draft Measurements

Last edited:
That's kinda my point it's not just Adrien( listed 6-7 actual 6-5 1/4), Boat ( they are the norm) or any of these guys that are shorter barefoot than their listed height in shoes and supposedly "outed".

99% of these guys listed height in sneakers would make them "outed".... just this year all three 6'-"6 Kentucky guys... the twins and Booker... are really only 6-4 1/2 .....and "Seven footer" Towns is really only 6-10 1/4".....Same with the Dukies.....lottery pick Justice Winslow.. he's been listed different places 6-6 or 6-7 but he's really only 6-4 1/2... or 6-2 Tyus Jones is only 6-0 1/4"....6-7 Stanley Johnson....no he's 6-5.....Texas lottery pick 7'-0" Myles Turner...nope 6-9 3/4"......Or take Uconn's listing of "6-9" DeAndre Daniels and "6-7" Neils Giffey over their careers.... why the 2 inch difference ? when DD was really 6'-7 1/4" and Neils was 6-6 "1/4 ( so shouldn't NG be listed 6-8 by those "normal" metrics)..... then do players height's get rounded up ? because I don't see anyone on any roster listed as fraction of inches...but the mystery goes on and on.....

I think the point is everyone plays bigger in sneakers because they are...Nobody plays barefoot, so when you get the real heights of any player they all seem an 1"-2" in shorter than what they are listed. That's why I find it laughable when some writer wants to make a point by saying so and so is only blah, blah, blah...But when someone adds 2 1/2" for a pair of Nike's that's probably a little to much...... ;) Anyway nobody stops playing basketball at the top of their head, LOL, so maybe standing reach should be the listing...but is that with shoes or without.....:)

Here's a look at the huge disparities over the years on this database you can change from year to year by draft.: NBA Draft Measurements
Players are listed based on measurements in shoes, only internationally do they list them without. Generally you add 1"-1.5" inches in height to a barefoot listing because that is usually the thickness of a pair of sneaker soles. Then if a player measures out a half or 3 quarters inch, you round up. This is pretty much commonly known, its not like you're blowing the lid off of some kind of conspiracy.

Players are listed based on measurements in shoes, only internationally do they list them without. Generally you add 1"-1.5" inches in height to a barefoot listing because that is usually the thickness of a pair of sneaker soles. Then if a player measures out a half or 3 quarters inch, you round up. This is pretty much commonly known, its not like you're blowing the lid off of some kind of conspiracy.

Duh.... that was my whole point....but then you have certain writers that like to use the barefoot numbers to put some kind of exclamation point on a story when it fits their narrative or as KSTW put it....trying to "out" some player they are writing a story about & his lack of height ( see the Boatright story from Newsweek I just posted)..... When as you and I both pointed out with every last one of them it's always been the 1" to 1 1/2 and round up....for years....

Last edited:
I suspect Diarra will be stirring this issue like Adrien did for a few years.......like Blades said, it gives the reporters something to write about. But it's only interesting when a guy is piling up the boards, and looks like a small dude in doing it. That is when you got a junkyard dog on your hands. And junkyard dogs are sometimes good to have on your team. And if you have more than one your team has a lot of bite added to the bark.

Reactions: the Blades
I suspect Diarra will be stirring this issue like Adrien did for a few years.......like Blades said, it gives the reporters something to write about. But it's only interesting when a guy is piling up the boards, and looks like a small dude in doing it..

Exactly KSTW.... I'm sure you were being a little sarcastic when you said " He grew 3 inches this summer already?" after I posted the writers comment who listed him 6-8...
Because if he really did grow 3" then we'd have a 6' 8.5" barefoot center who would be rounded up to 6-10 using the the metric everyone else uses and I guess there would be no story....LOL!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT