ADVERTISEMENT

Look back on Practice from 10/16

Ozzie3178

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2006
I do want to preface this by saying that.... not many players had a really good practice but they were getting after it!!

My main thing was to look for a leader a vocal passionate guy who gets practice going and everyone up and going at practice... I mostly did not find one.

Jalen Adams- this kid is the real deal... If anyone is having fun out there and enjoying being a UCONN Husky it it is Jalen! He was a little vocal and getting after it. Playing solid D and getting his team (blue) involved. Obviously he is an explosive athlete and can score in a variety of ways but his vision is superior as well already at an early age. Will need experience to continue to get better and more confident. Look for him to take on a starter role after a few games... I say like 6-7 games in... That's the plan anyway.

Steve Enoch - This is a very BIG boy!! He is in the mold of typical UCONN bigs. Kid also has swagger which I love! He was laboring quite a bit during practice(winded) and was called out for it a few times but he has skill and wants to get better daily and will. Definitely see him contributing at both the 4-5 spots this season.

Terry Larrier - Long wiry guy. Plays hard and has a real nice stroke from deep although has to knock it down little more consistently and he will. Him and DHam go at it although this practice they mostly were not facing each other. I like how he takes it to hole strong and not afraid to go try and dunk on someone. Will be a good player for us during his tenure!

Sterling Gibbs - Mature and solid. Not as explosive or free flowing as JA but Sterling gets it done. As mentioned i see him starting early in the season and running the team. He is another one that can really stroke it. His on ball D needs to improve though. He is shorter than I thought but athletic enough to overcome it. Great personality and I hope he can become that experienced leader on and off the court for the guys!

Shonn Miller - A MAN! Husky Nation will love this guy. Another quiet persona but he is a physical beast! He was one of the bright spots throughout practice after a bit of a slow start. He knows his role and the way he will impact games this season for us. Has legit perimeter skills but his money will be made from 17 feet and in.

DHam - Smooth. Has gotten stronger for sure and his stroke from 3 is more pure. He will be the guy for us. Playmaker and scorer.

Purv - His body is NBA ready. Look for him to be much of the same player as the end of last year. He did try to dunk on Facey and Nolan in practice on a couple breakaways but did not finish and he needs to finish those types of plays more!

Amida- Definitely Bigger. Although we know what he will bring he still has a bad tendency to foul and reach when guarding on perimeter on a switch. Got his ass chewed out for that and needs to learn that is what teams will do to get him in foul trouble. Also would like to see him block more shots with opposite hand.

KFacey- Improved. He had the best practice this day overall. Was rebounding strong and way above the rim. His issue to me is that he is still not passionate enough. Very unassuming.

All the other guys were basically the same although all look in better physical and conditioning shape. We will look to run run run a lot this year. Need more easy baskets!!

We have a deep team and talented for sure but need that lead dawg to set everyone straight and accountable and if one or two emerge throughout the season we will have a great year!!

#Strivefor5

No problemo Blades... Wish they had practice Saturday but I'm sure they got after it at today's practice.

Always great to see Ray Ray show up to practice and impart wisdom. Still a humble class dude!

As for first night it was fun as usual and got to talk to Diallo and Diarra for a while.

Diallo will stay 2017 he told me. I said yea that is best and his and Diarras grades are good.

We talked about other things but I can't post those at this time.

Good stuff Ozzie!

Just curious on your predictions for starting lineup for first game of season and who you see Jalen Adams eventually replacing in the lineup?

Hey Ozzie,

Those are the same things I would be looking for- who is going to lead the team. Last year my buddy who I occasionally went to games with thought the talent level was fine- the problem was leadership or lack thereof.

Gibbs has to be good on defense. Is Adams better? Because Adams-Purvis could be the best tandem on defense.

Keep in mind Khalid took over right away. From Calhoun's account it was immediate. Doesn't sound like that has happened yet, but that was a pretty young team when Khalid got to UCONN.

Good stuff Ozzie!

Just curious on your predictions for starting lineup for first game of season and who you see Jalen Adams eventually replacing in the lineup?

He will replace Sterling bro... You can see the difference in talent level at practice between those two.

Also coach will play a smaller quicker lineup so you could see sterling Jalen in at same time depending on game and matchup.

Hey Ozzie,

Those are the same things I would be looking for- who is going to lead the team. Last year my buddy who I occasionally went to games with thought the talent level was fine- the problem was leadership or lack thereof.

Gibbs has to be good on defense. Is Adams better? Because Adams-Purvis could be the best tandem on defense.

Gibbs will get after and of course here at UCONN you don't play D you will not play and he knows that but as I mentioned previous the talent level is clear that JA is better but it has to translate in games and how KO wants things to go when the lights are on!!

If Jalen starts one of Gibbs or Purvis sits.......it's really that simple. I personally believe Purvis is best suited for 6th man duties. I already said this 6 months ago..................

It's hard to determine so far but I would think Starters are;

1. Gibbs
2. Purv
3. DHam
4. S. Miller
5. Brimah

With Purv, DHam and Brimah being locks others I am putting in based on experience

Amida- Definitely Bigger. Although we know what he will bring he still has a bad tendency to foul and reach when guarding on perimeter on a switch. Got his ass chewed out for that and needs to learn that is what teams will do to get him in foul trouble. Also would like to see him block more shots with opposite hand.

Gonzaga (if they play UConn at BOA) will eat his shit alive if he doesn't fix this. Anyone remember the Duke game last year when he was on the bench the whole game with foul trouble resulting in an L for UConn? Gonzaga is the same kind of well coached fundamental squad with a 6'10", 6'11", 7'1" frontline - with Karnowski and Sabonis very aggressive big bodies that know how to draw fouls from chump contact.

I was wondering the same thing,,,,,, Omar and Sam and are like the forgotten men. Omar needs to show tough like his namesake Omar on the TV show The Wire.

Ozzie,

Since there was no mention of Calhoun or Cassell am I to assume they did not impress?

Omar definitely looks better practiced hard but has to consistently hit the open shot and needs to finish around the rim still. Is in great looking shape and looks fully healthy.

Cassel Jr is in a bit better shape too but just a little slow for a guard at this level for UCONN. Hopefully when called upon he can deliver good minutes. His foot is not bothering him anymore so

So to me the others looked the same overall but still time to get better and really help this team

I kinda feel bad for gibbs. Considering he had some issues with an incoming freshman at Seton Hall. I hope we don't have any issues with he and Adams...i doubt we will. Just thinking out loud.

I can see Jalen Adams taking over that starting PG roll from day one. I agree with Khalid that Purvis is more of a sixth man and provide a spark off the bench. The talent is there for UConn, we just have to blend everyone together and never take a play off.

Ozzie, your write up is very good. I'm not super psyched to hear Brimah is still fouling. I'm worried Brimah may just have that in him. Very hard to impossible to cure it. I'm hoping he rebounds better. Doesn't get knocked to the floor too often.

Facey playing well is good to hear. We need both Facey and Brimah to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
KO has certainly put together a talented and deep roster but it will be on him to get this unit to gel and to mix and match lineups. All this talk about who starts and I don't really think that matters all that much. It matters who sees the minutes throughout the course of the game and who is on the floor during crunch time.

As always, PT will be earned but our depth has me psyched!

Last year we were doomed if Brimah wanted to pick up stupid fouls and spend more time sitting on the pine next to KO than on the court. Now we have Miller, Facey, Nolan and Enoch all capable of stepping up in the frontcourt.

Brimah will always be an XFactor for how good we can be but our team from last year was too dependent on Boat and Brimah my liking.

From Rodney and DHam with one more year of experience under their belts to the veteran transfers of Gibbs and Miller to the excitement behind Jalen Adams, it's going to be a fun year to watch fellas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT