ADVERTISEMENT

Adding Gibb would be MASSIVE

Zags timeline seems to say the NBC stuff is this copy cat BS that goes on in the media now since he supposedly talked to
Gibbs father after these "reports" came out ...but who fricken knows !

Does anyone know anything more on Gibbs and whether 247Sports and NBC are full of kaka? I hate when these reports leak and then are denied by immediate family. They shouldn't put anything out there until it's 100% solid.

OK back and I looked around......finally saw a tweet from a Uconn beat writer:

David Borges @DaveBorges · 15h 15 hours ago
" Can confirm report on Sterling Gibbs committing to #UConn is premature. "

My question is can he get accepted into graduate school?.....It's part of the deal and the process. Just because mutual interest may exist,
Uconn is not always a sure thing academically for post grads.... I recall a 4 star post grad WR ( Bryce McNeal ) from Clemson
that had committed to Uconn a couple of years ago, it was well reported and he was all set to head to Uconn then
Suddenly McNeal never got a chance...... but also just as suddenly he was accepted into Louisville ....
Some schools just have different academic standards... I have no idea if this is the case in
this situation. But as we've seen with KO and OKC some writers just love to rush out BS...... ASAP....to create stories and web hits... true or not.

Last edited:
Would love to get him especially after these others schools come in to play dirty......

I pretty much despise recruiting. I'm a little annoyed the recruiting process has expanded to 5th year seniors.

I think the one advantage UConn has is that Gibbs is a New Jersey boy and UConn is not that far away from home. So his family can come and see him play and he can go home on weekends if he wants to. This could be a strong selling point, as well as the fact that UConn's "3 Point Shooter Wanted" Sign has been hanging outside Gampel since the end of the 2013-2014 season. Gibbs can hoist away from the 3 line at UConn, because nobody else on the roster can really be trusted or counted on for a dagger 3.

Don't forget he left Texas for SHU because he was homesick. UConn is close to home.

These frickin writers need to stop putting out false reports....a Scout guy( I won't link him....isn't that what they want ?)
is already talking it's a done deal and a big pick-up for Olllie.......nonsense says Gibbs himself....

Sterling Gibbs @SterlingGibbs4
· 15m 15 minutes ago
" 2nd time this happened smh!"

and......
Sterling Gibbs retweeted
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 20m 20 minutes ago
Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs told @CBSSports he will visit NC State this week. Immediately eligible.

Rothstein also mentioned:
"Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs told @CBSSports he hasn't committed anywhere yet. Will likely decide this week. UConn, Ohio State lead."

If he's got a trip to NC State planned , I'm sure he wants to take in the process and why would he want to commit anywhere right now ?

I don't understand why these guys put out stories making conclusions only to be refuted on Twitter only minutes later. I don't really get it. I get that everyone wants to be first with a breaking story but whatever happened to being right?????? It's like the Amtrak crash, all of these rushes to judgment and still nobody knows what happened because the engineer had his head bashed and has amnesia from a concussion. In the case of Gibbs I think there is a perception that UConn is a good fit or perhaps the best fit since a guard and a 3 point shooter is needed so they run with whoever looks like the best fit. That is the only way I can figure it. But it is still speculation.

Well its a done deal so all those early reports were correct. Oh well, just glad he is here. Should be interesting to see how Adams reacts to having a lot of his PT changed, not decreased as much as just.... changed.

Purvis is the one that I think needs to step it up and be consistent. Gibbs is everything we hoped Purvis WOULD/COULD be.....

Have to say that this could be one heck of a backcourt. I still think we are weak at center with Brimah. I love the kid but he needs several more years and only has 2 to get it right. Miller will give us some leadership that is sorely needed in the front court so hopefully Brimah/Nolan/Enoch can be serviceable. That all being said, this is getting fun. Two transfers don't make chemistry happen so this could be bad if guys like Purvis don't welcome them in and gel.

Ollie has the transfer thing down....... now let's land a few 2-4 year guys each year. Greedy, I know.

If you're being greedy, I'm right there with you. Gibbs is a great pick up, but it's still just a stop gap. Not to beat a dead horse, but consider UConn only has 11 scholarship players. Next year, they'll definitely lose four of those (Calhoun, Nolan, Miller, and Gibbs). Although we don't like to think about it, there's a good possibility that DHam could leave, and maybe even Brimah. In that scenario, UConn is down to five players - and that's assuming there won't be any further defections of the Lubin/TSam type. The last two recruiting classes were very thin, and it doesn't help that one of those guys already left. They're going to need a very large class next year, and hopefully some quality transfers that aren't of the one year variety.

Ollie has the transfer thing down....... now let's land a few 2-4 year guys each year. Greedy, I know.

Speaking of transfers. Don't know if the Courant has any inside info but they mentioned the 4 star FR from the Bronx who was big on Uconn before but now is transferring from VCU.

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille ( from fall of 2013)

"Bronx wing Terry Larrier will pick between VCU and UConn after a "great" visit to VCU per AAU coach Munch Williams."

Larrier had Daniel Hamilton and no guarantee that Daniels wouldn't be back for his Sr year in front of him, when he committed to VCU. So could he be another transfer ? But
one with 3 years remaining and who would have to sit out a year. Regarding the long term roster there is speculation that this grad transfer thing could be coming
to an end with new NCAA rules:

Jeff Goodman@GoodmanESPN
"UConn is the winner of the grad transfer sweepstakes this year (probably the last year) with addition of Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller."

So KO might as well take full use of it while he can. Consider it the new one and done's, but kids that actually go to school ( and graduate )...since Uconn lost
2 transfers theirselves and upgraded the current depth. Gibbs is a huge get because he can actually play with the ball in his hands and Adams is really the only other
guard besides the oft inj, Cassell Jr. who can do that on this roster. Something Gibbs had issues with at Seton Hall between between him and their 5 star FR. who
wanted to control the rock from what I read. But it will be a requirement playing for Uconn, since Purvis and Omar are off the ball types.

Last edited:
Gibbs said something on his Twitter to Adams about getting good looks so I think he wants Adams' dimes when he spots up in his preferred location in the corner to swish a 3. Gibbs is the secondary ballhandler and I agree he will start over Purvis giving UConn 2 ballhandling guards with Purvis being a 6th man to provide instant offense off the bench. That is the only way this will work. The frontcourt will be D-Ham, Miller and Brimah which figures to be the best rebounding frontline UConn has had in a while. It looks like a legit top 10 or maybe top 5 team to me.

I have no concern about starters or different looks... it will all play out by MPG.... could go 8-10 deep....but here's a look at the roster: (guys who get major minutes in Bold, IMO)

GUARDS
#44.... Rodney Purvis.. 6-4/205.....Guard........ RS JR..... Raleigh. N.C.
4....... Sterling Gibbs... 6-2/185......PG...............RSR........Scotch Plains, N.J
2....... Jalen Adams ..... 6-2/175.......PG............ FR.......... Roxbury, MA

10..... Sam Cassell Jr...... 6-4/192...... Guard....... JR........... Baltimore, MD

WINGS:
5...... Daniel Hamilton...6-7/190......G/F..... SO.... Los Angeles, CA
21..... Omar Calhoun...... 6-5/205..... G/F...... SR.... Brooklyn, N.Y.

FORWARDS
32......Shonn Miller....... 6-7/ 210.......F.......RSR........ Euclid, OH
with one of these 2 guys grabbing the 8th spot or hopefully displacing Nolan if he doesn't get any better:
12...... Kentan Facey..... 6-9/206........ F.......... JR....... Trelawny, Jamaica
22....... Steve Enoch....... 6-10/235..... F/C..... FR..... Norwalk, CT

CENTERS
35....... Amida Brimah.... 7-0/230....... Center...... JR.... Accra, Ghana
1......... Phillip Nolan...... 6-10/237...... C/F........... SR.... Milwaukee, Wis.

Last edited:
We saw a lot of hamilton at four last year and I see no reason why we don't see a lot of that again. Adams, gibb, purvis, hamilton and someone else....I expect to see that.

I think Enoch might surpass Facey and Nolan for backup minutes at the 4 and 5- reason why is he can board and, unlike the other 2, has a sweet looking jumper. But the team is at least 8 deep and closer to 10 barring injuries. I think Purvis will be the 6th man and Calhoun, Cassell, Enoch and Nolan will be important bench players. Facey might be the last scholly guy on the bench and it says something when the former New York State Player of The Year is the last guy on the bench.

I think it will help Purvis to put him in the role of providing a spark off the bench. He is capable of doing that. He had several 28-29 point games at the end of the year where he had explosive bursts of scoring. They can bring him in and use him in 3 guard sets with Adams and Gibbs where he will not need to handle the ball as much, thus reducing his TOs and offensive fouls. The other guards can concentrate on driving and dishing to Purvis when he is in position for a quick score with 2 dribbles or less or is wide open for a set shot. This will cleanse Purvis TO numbers. Hamilton TO numbers will also go down as he will not handle as much as he did last year. I hope Purvis and Hamilton can improve their 3 point FG% to something better than average as both were kind of average last year.

Last edited:
We saw a lot of hamilton at four last year and I see no reason why we don't see a lot of that again. Adams, gibb, purvis, hamilton and someone else....I expect to see that.

I can see that look too, but KO has Shonn Miller, a guy who averaged 17 pts. and 8.5 rebs in D-1( also shot 83% on FT's) replacing Lubin .....if he can do a % of that it should free up D-Ham to his more natural wing/point forward position.. So KO will have options and match-ups now that weren't really available with last years roster ...especially if Miller, Adams, Gibbs, ( or even Enoch) can come anywhere close to as advertised...

Miller also can handle the ball a little bit so if you start Adams, Gibbs, Hamilton and Miller, at 1-4, ballhandling should be better than last year......nobody has mentioned it but the team is also very athletic with the additions of Gibbs and Miller and Adams, and the defense should be good but we will see.

Here's some Miller highlights that Michigan hoops put together when they were after him.....more the athletic stuff .....kinda weird looking release from 3, I don't see him doing much of that though his coach says:

“He’s 6-7 and can guard any position on the floor, from point guard to center. He’s an elite-level defender. His offensive game has developed in his time at Cornell. He’s a terrific athlete and offensive/defensive rebounder, and he’s better than a 23-percent 3-point shooter. His driving is getting better, but his pull-up game is his strength. And his athleticism makes him strong in transition.”

Regarding Miller's 3 point shot, he shoots a high arcing "rainbow" type jumper, which not many guys shoot at a high %, a notable exception being the acknowledged master, Purvis Short, who was a great NBA small forward back in the 1980s. Here is a compilation of Short's rainbow jumpers:

Looking at the video on Miller, he looks like a longer player than I had imagined. His rebounding and defensive skills will warrant him starting, and if he can shoot 3s, make athletic dunks on O-boards and handle a little bit, those will be gravy bonuses.

ADVERTISEMENT