ADVERTISEMENT

2016 PF down to UConn and VCU

Looks a little lumbering to me but powerful. Play behind Miller and then the next year push Facey for starting spot. Looks like a more athletic and more talented Lubin.

Looks a little lumbering to me but powerful. Play behind Miller and then the next year push Facey for starting spot. Looks like a more athletic and more talented Lubin.

Miller will be gone by then...this kid's a 2016....we talked about him, linked his highlights, and discussed other options in this thread awhile ago:
Anybody know this guy?

I won't be super excited if we can't beat out VCU. We don't exactly have an allstar front court and VCU just lost a coach.

Did this kid grow ?......or is he still 6-8 ( per Rivals, 24/7 , ESPN, etc.) and the Courant is as clueless with details as ever... big difference !

This blurb is from from their Boatright article yesterday:
…" Mamadou Diarra, a 7-foot center, Class of 2016, who has played the past two seasons at Putnam Science Academy, has visited UConn
recently and is down to UConn and Virginia Commonwealth. "

Last edited:
Reactions: aman kidwai
This guy is a 3 star ranked #174 in the nation so I don't know what all the fuss is about. 247 Sports Crystal Ball says 100% UConn, so that means it's 100% he is going to UConn:

http://247sports.com/Player/Mamadou-Diarra-76949

Seems like a long term project at best. Nobody should act like he is anything more than a project. At #174 he would be one of the lowest ranked UConn recruits in memory.

Last edited:
This guy is a 3 star ranked #174 in the nation so I don't know what all the fuss is about. 247 Sports Crystal Ball says 100% UConn, so that means it's 100% he is going to UConn:

http://247sports.com/Player/Mamadou-Diarra-76949

Seems like a long term project at best. Nobody should act like he is anything more than a project. At #174 he would be one of the lowest ranked UConn recruits in memory.

First of all 24/7 rankings aren't the end all be all of anything......it's a "for what it's worth" situation like all these sites....this guy wasn't even a top 150 either Hilton Armstrong......
and he ended up a NBA lottery pick. That being said we discussed this kid over a month ago in the link I posted above......and I didn't get it either . This link: Anybody know this guy?
But if the coaches like him that's all that matters and maybe he got better.....so WTF do I know ???

I don't think he got better. He has very modest stats. Obviously the coaches see something but the something they see is potential and way down the road. Hilton Armstrong was a 4 year player and was not really a significant contributor until his senior year, but before that he averaged about 3 ppg or less and was basically a body to pick up fouls, like Phil Nolan. He was drafted higher than where he should have been, as was the case with Boone and Marcus Williams and Denham Brown. The only legit NBA player on that team was Rudy Gay.

Yeah, I get all that about Hilton and the rest....don't need the history lesson...just saying lower recruits have happened and succeeded.....and coaches see what they see....

as I said in the thread I linked...I liked the Vermont Academy package better of Jones, Brown and Mathias....Diarra also has a 2017 teammate too who is now ranked #38 on rivals
Hamidou Diallo......so I wonder if he is in play either ???

but Uconn could need about 5+ players in 2016 so they will have a few projects/ program players ....I'm not jumping up and down about any of these guys until I see them vs. high major comp...but speaking of 4 year guys...here's what one guy who just scouted him said:

Corey Evans @coreyevans_10
Mamadou Diarra. Rim presence! Big time shot alterer and rebounder. Motor never turns off. Runs rim to rim. Producer.... #HGJamFest
Alot of people missed out on Mamadou Diarra. Kid is going to have a great 4 year college career with ample rebounds and easy buckets...
Mamadou Diarra back at it. Floats above the rim for every put back chance. One of the hardest dudes to box out due to motor and strength

CFKJLhDW0AEoK18.png

Last edited:
Not interested in another Rock Lubin

Me either, when your undersized with no length, despite what height they list you and seem to bulky to be effective.... getting
suspended on your very first road trip is no way to start your college career...

Last edited:
Not interested in another Rock Lubin
Lubin was about 6'6" at best with short arms and not an explosive leaper off the ground, not even close to the same comparison with Diarra. New layout, new admins, but still the same dumbass posters on here.

Lubin was about 6'6" at best with short arms and not an explosive leaper off the ground, not even close to the same comparison with Diarra. .

Just said the same thing above...totally different look as players...hell Rubin never even had a HS mixtape to look at.....maybe there was a reason why ????

Just said the same thing above...totally different look as players...hell Rubin never even had a HS mixtape to look at.....maybe there was a reason why ????
Ya, this would be a very nice get, Diarra isn't a program changer but he's an athletic and long big with a high motor, and he's had a very good spring so far on the UA circuit, we can always use one of these types. Plus it could possibly help with Diallo in 2017 since they are tight with each other.

Ya, this would be a very nice get, Diarra isn't a program changer but he's an athletic and long big with a high motor, and he's had a very good spring so far on the UA circuit, we can always use one of these types. Plus it could possibly help with Diallo in 2017 since they are tight with each other.

That was my thought I posted above.... also found some recent UA stats, not a high scoring team and Diarra is acceptable for a big at the line ( 64% which could get better and is a plus)
Stats - Mamadou Diarra

Jeywalk- pretty sure you know where to stick it.

In my Lubin comment I was referring to a end of the bench guy with no real shot at being a real minutes guy for us. Lubin was an unnecessary recruit and I see this kid as one as well or at the very least one we all should not be at all excited about.

Jeywalk- pretty sure you know where to stick it.

In my Lubin comment I was referring to a end of the bench guy with no real shot at being a real minutes guy for us. Lubin was an unnecessary recruit and I see this kid as one as well or at the very least one we all should not be at all excited about.
And once again, it is a dumb comparison. Lubin was someone the staff reached on after they missed on their top targets at PF, they're getting in early on Diarra. I trust Corey Evans's opinion of Diarra since he has actually seen him play, over yours that you're giving from behind a keyboard when you have actually never seen him play. Lubin didn't even have another high level D1 offer at the time he committed to us and was completely unranked. Diarra can certainly contribute here, and if it helps with Diallo then that's even better.

Yes I like that grid Blades. I wonder what will happen with the remaining two scholarships? Will UConn save the two remaining, or use one and save one?

Last edited:
"Reaches" are "reaches" regardless of who else is reaching for it. Lets watch this kid and see who's right.

Great news for the Huskies, hope you enjoyed Paxton live streaming it on Periscope!

Welcome aboard Mamadou. This type of player is exactly what our front court needs. I can all but guarantee that Diarra's stock will continue to rise throughout this year. He should not be considered a reach by any stretch of the imagination - KO and Co. got in first with him and they closed well...now let's go out there and secure Larrier

Also I wonder with Diarra in the fold, does it mean Uconn will shy away from the Vermont Academy guys ??? Specifically Tyrique Jones who is a PF too? Sounds like they've cooled on
Bruce Brown his VT. team mate:

Texas is one of five recruiting 4-star Brown the hardest
" There had been talk during the high school season that Brown would reclassify to 2015 and join his relative Jalen Adams at Connecticut. That option is no longer on the table. Brown told 247Sports that he is staying 2016 and that he hasn't been hearing from UConn lately."

Great news for the Huskies, hope you enjoyed Paxton live streaming it on Periscope!
Much appreciated man!

Also I wonder with Diarra in the fold, does it mean Uconn will shy away from the Vermont Academy guys ??? Specifically Tyrique Jones who is a PF too? Sounds like they've cooled on
Bruce Brown his VT. team mate:

Texas is one of five recruiting 4-star Brown the hardest
" There had been talk during the high school season that Brown would reclassify to 2015 and join his relative Jalen Adams at Connecticut. That option is no longer on the table. Brown told 247Sports that he is staying 2016 and that he hasn't been hearing from UConn lately."
I think with Diarra, there's more to work with than Jones. Think Diarra is a bit taller and has a longer wingspan. But, with at least 5 remaining scholarships, and only Brimah, Facey, Enoch and Diarra as your frontcourt, I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in another PF type. Especially if Brimah declares for the NBA after this year (you never know).

Not sure what's going on with Bruce Brown though - sure seems like even though UConn had him prioritized for 2015, they have others higher on their list for 2016.

With Diarra, even though he isn't in the rankings of most recruiting services, I would not be surprised if he ends up in the top 100 across the board by the end of the summer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT